Photo by Erik Cohen

Turn up the music for Greek Week

Sororities and fraternities hosted their annual Greek Week, a week consisting of various events designed to express Greek pride, from March 18 to 22.

The events included penny wars, Family Feud, a can castle contest, a lip sync battle and a t-shirt making contest. 

Sammi Davidson, a sophomore secondary education major, is a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She said she went Greek during formal recruitment last January.

Davidson said although the organizations get competitive during Greek Week, it’s all in good fun.

“Greek Week is a representation of this community,” Davidson said. “Seeing all of the different organizations come together for some friendly competition and for a good cause like Wednesday’s can drive, is just amazing.”

DSC04389.JPG
Photo by Erik Cohen
DSC05258.JPG
Photo by Erik Cohen
DSC05011.JPG
Photo by Erik Cohen

Compared to past years of superheroes and sitcoms, this year’s theme was “Greek Life on Tour,” where organizations selected a musical artist to represent their team.

Erin Miley, a junior marketing major, is also a sister of  Kappa Kappa Gamma. She said she remembers past Greek Weeks since she joined the chapter two years ago. 

“It helps us build our connections with other organizations that we may not talk to or have contact with,” Miley said. “It is competitive, but competitive in a good way. We are all in an organization together and it builds that teamwork.”

During the week, each event is tallied through a point system to determine who wins each event as well as the entire week. Miley said Kappa Kappa Gamma and Pi Kappa Phi won the t-shirt contest under the band name “The Beatles.”

Maryn Megquier, a sophomore communication major, said she joined Zeta Tau Alpha in the spring of her freshman year. She said her favorite event from the week was penny wars.

During the event, each team filled their respective jugs with pennies and $1 bills counting toward their team’s score. Teams could subtract from the others’ totals by adding larger change and bills to their jars.

DSC05341.JPG
Photo by Erik Cohen
DSC05417.JPG
Photo by Erik Cohen

Under the band name “One Direction,” Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Chi Rho took second place at the end of the week.

“Greek Week was a good start for Zeta because we are doing Big Man on Campus, where all the frats and other organizations on campus compete in a big philanthropy event,” Megquier said. “Greek Week a month before that is good for us, and we definitely built some connections.”

The winner was announced as team “ABBA,” which consisted of Delta Upsilon, Alpha Gamma Delta and Alpha Phi Omega. “One Direction,” which consisted of Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Chi Rho, claimed second and the “Jonas Brothers,” consisting of Alpha Phi and Alpha Sigma Phi, came in third.

Calla Patino writes for the Campus Life section. She can be reached at calla.patino@student.shu.edu