Photo via Zeta Phi Beta

Finer Womanhood Week with Zeta Phi Beta Inc.

Zeta Phi Beta Inc., a multicultural sorority at Seton Hall that empowers Black women, hosted their Finer Womanhood Week from Feb. 25 to Feb. 28.   

Ivette Galloza, a senior criminal justice major and president of Zeta Phi Beta, said Finer Womanhood Week is “a week where we highlight all of our principles and give back to our community in different forms of scholarship.” 

Takeema LaVal, a sophomore political science and law double major and Zeta Phi Beta’s secretary, said “as Black women, we need a time where we are uplifted, where we are thought about and considered.”  

The sorority’s treasurer, Kasmira Lancaster, a senior biology and religion double major said the purpose of the week is to “promote the concept of finer womanhood itself, which is exclusive to Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.,”The sorority hosted five events during the week including Sunday service and Sisterhood Brunch, Black HERstory, Trap N’ Paint, Study with the Zetas and Pie Psi Pi.

Sunday Service and Sisterhood Brunch 

The kickoff event of the week was the Sunday service and Sisterhood Brunch in Bethany Hall. LaVal said the event brings all the sisters together on the first day of the week. 

“Sisterhood brunch is an annual thing we always do,” LaVal said. “If we don’t do it, it’s breaking tradition.”  

LaVal said the brunch “allows [them] to come together not as just members of Zeta Phi Beta Inc. but with other sororities and organizations.”

Galloza said the brunch included an activity called “I got your back, where [they] taped papers on the backs of each other and wrote whatever [they] thought about the person.”   

Black HERstory  

The sorority’s “Black HERstory” trivia night was an event co-sponsored by the National Council of Negro Women Inc.  

Students answered Jeopardy-style questions about notable Black women, including Beyoncé, Halle Berry, Florence Joyner and Simone Biles.  

LaVal said the event was important because “not a lot of events are catered to women and especially Black women.”

Trap N’ Paint 

During Trap N’ Paint, students painted while learning about the influence of Black people in music history.  

LaVal said it is important to educate people on the influence of Black people on popular music. 

“Young people are always listening to this type of music so we should have background on it,” LaVal said.  

The event included a presentation, which covered the subgenres of rap, such as snap rap, drill, dirty rap and mumble rap. Famous artists like Fetty Wap, Metro Boomin and Travis Scott were also mentioned.  

“It’s Black History Month,” LaVal said. “We have a lot of impact on a lot of areas of this life we live.”  

Pie Psi Pi

During Pie Psi Pi, which Zeta Phi Beta hosted along with the brothers of Phi Beta Sigma, students could pie one of the sisters or brothers in the face for a charge of $3 for one pie and $5 for two pies.  

Galloza said the proceeds from the event are going to a local women’s shelter. 

Lancaster said the event was meant to “promote goodness on campus and community.”

It was to “do something for our community,” LaVal agreed. “It’s fun, and we’re giving back, which is always a plus.”   

Study with the Zetas  

Lancaster said the final event of Finer Womanhood Week is a study session which “emphasizes the importance of schoolwork and studying.” 

“There is a time for play, but there is also a time to get our schoolwork done,” Lancaster said. 

LaVal said among the more fun events, academics are an essential part of the Zeta Phi Beta experience. 

“Scholarship is our first principle, so we have to stick to that,” LaVal said.

Dominique Mercadante writes for the Campus Life Section. She can be reached at dominique.mercadante@student.shu.edu