Outside of the Setonian, I am the president of Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Association's official honors society, an active member of Pirate TV, and a student worker of the University's Office of the Provost.

Photo via Maria Levandoski. 

E-Board column: Nothing short of rewarding

Being a part of the Setonian’s 100th editorial board has been nothing short of rewarding. I am so grateful that I get to work alongside such talented writers and photographers who are passionate about journalism. 

Serving as the Head Photo Editor this year has been the highlight of my senior year. I have learned so much more about photography and rekindled my passion for the medium while doing so. Through this position I have turned colleagues into friends and have shared so many positive, happy moments with everyone on the editorial board. This whole experience has reminded me why I got into photojournalism in the first place: sharing community with others. 

Being able to contribute photos of Seton Hall and the South Orange area to visually convey the community has been very exciting and engaging. The Photo Section’s photographers submit such vibrant, creative photos that help bring the stories we tell to life. Every staff photographer has a unique eye for the camera and brings a fresh perspective to each photo submission. Combining both print and written journalism makes for a well rounded story, and the Setonian is able to achieve this through the community we have created between the editors, writers, and photographers. It is inspiring to work with such like-minded individuals that have such an infectious, go-getter attitude. Everyone’s hard working attitude makes me want to do the same. 

I am so grateful that I can call the Setonian a family, and I would not trade my experiences for anything. I feel incredibly honored to have been able to contribute my photographic skills for such a historic year for the paper. Learning about past editors, writers, and photographers while planning for the centennial has given me encouragement to continue doing what I love: capturing heartfelt moments that encapsulate a diverse community. 

Maria is the Setonian’s photography editor. She can be reached at maria.levandoski@student.shu.edu.