Photo courtesy of Michael Paras

Former President Dr. Joseph Nyre sues Seton Hall, alleging gaslighting, retaliation, breach of contract

Dr. Joseph Nyre, who served as Seton Hall’s 21st president from Aug. 2019 to July 2023, filed a multilayered lawsuit against the University on Monday alleging violations of New Jersey’s Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA), discrimination and retaliation in violation of New Jersey’s Law Against Discrimination (NJLAD) and breach of the Separation and General Release Agreement between Nyre and Seton Hall.

Some of Nyre’s allegations in the lawsuit include:

• Chairman of the Board of Regents Kevin Marino attempting to “wrongfully” interfere with hiring procedures due to conflict of interest.

• Marino attempting to “force” Nyre to admit underqualified students.

• Marino attempting to “force” Nyre to violate Seton Hall’s building-naming policies.

• Marino “wrongfully” interfering with an ongoing investigation into embezzlement at the University’s Law School.

• Marino using vulgar language towards Nyre when he refused to engage in aforementioned “wrongful” acts.

• Marino threatening and campaigning against Nyre when he reported the former’s behavior to the Board of Regents.

Nyre’s wife, Kelli, has also alleged sexual harassment against Seton Hall and Marino.

READ THE FULL LAWSUIT HERE.

In a statement to NJ.com on Tuesday, an attorney for Marino denied any wrongdoing. 

This is a developing story. Check back to the Setonian for updates.

Emma Thumann is the Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief. She can be reached at emma.thumann@student.shu.edu.