Photo by Jake Meneskie

Baines, Catalon combine for 34 points in Pirates’ routing of UMES, 78-54

The Seton Hall Pirates hosted the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore on Saturday, Dec. 2 at Walsh Gymnasium. 

After a hard-fought loss in double-overtime to No. 24 Princeton on Wednesday, the Pirates looked to get back in the win column. Maryland Eastern Shore sought to add another win to their three-game winning streak, though The Hall pulled out the win convincingly against the Hawks on Saturday, winning by a score of 78-54. 

The Pirates started off struggling, trailing by as much as eight with 2:31 left in the first quarter, before coming back and cutting the deficit to just two at the end of the first quarter. Once the second quarter commenced, the Pirates went back to the team they had been all year. Graduate forward Azana Baines led the comeback, notching five points to go with two steals in the second quarter alone. 

UMES only scored nine points after a solid first quarter, while only making three of their 12 shots and turning the ball over eight times. Despite the Pirates going 0-7 from three-point range in the quarter, they rode a 32-28 lead into the half. 

Seton Hall continued to dominate until the game ended right out of the gate. Baines, along with fellow graduate forward Kae Satterfield, had six points and two rebounds in the third, helping the Hall outscore UMES 22-13. The team shot 9-for-16 from the field, translating to 56.3% from the field. 

The Hall once again held the Hawks back in the fourth quarter, while the Pirates tacked 24 points onto their total as the cherry on top. Freshman guard Savannah Catalon scored eight of her 17 points and went 2-for-2 on three-point attempts in the quarter. Baines added 17 points of her own on 6-for-12 shooting.

Pirates senior guard Amari Wright orchestrated the offense well, as she dished 10 assists to go with her eight points on 4-for-4 shooting. Kae Satterfield had eight points in the contest as well. 

Graduate center A’Jah Davis and sophomore guard Micah Gray, who hit the buzzer beater to send the Princeton game to the first overtime, both had seven points and combined for 10 rebounds, with Gray poking out four of the Pirates 13 steals on the game.

Seton Hall held the Hawks to just 39.6% shooting from the field, while shooting 54.4% from the field themselves. The Hawks were led by Seawell, who had 17 points and 12 rebounds off the bench, with graduate guard Mya Thomas leading the starting lineup with 14 points. 

The Pirates improve to 5-3 on the season and look to win their second consecutive game against the Central Connecticut State University Blue Devils on Friday, December 8, as they continue a stretch of home games.

John Misiewicz can be reached at john.misiewicz@student.shu.edu.