Women’s swim’s Alessio grabs first place with her fourth-straight sweep in win over Lehigh

The Seton Hall women's swim and dive team came away victorious on Nov. 4 in their last home dual meet of 2023, after securing a 136-105 win propelled by dominant performances in both diving and distance swimming events.

The Hall’s graduate diver Silvia Alessio won both boards on the women's side to capture her fourth straight sweep. Alessio's scores of 303.52 and 283.72 in the one and three-meter boards, respectively, led her to victory. Senior diver Laura Stavila also saw great success, placing third at each height.  

Senior swimmer Amanda Zajdzinski won three events: the 1000-meter freestyle, 500-meter freestyle, and contributed to winning the 200-meter freestyle relay alongside seniors Madeline Field, Leiya Istambouli, and Natalie Heim with a time of 1:36.94. Heim also took three events, touching the wall first in the 100 and 200-meter freestyles.

Junior Lea Moeller notably claimed the 50 Free with a time of 24.14 and Julie Stampe attained the win in the 100 Back in 58.50. Junior Allie Waggoner came second in the 400 individual medley and 500-meter freestyle collecting vital points for the pirates in the tense meet. 

Seton Hall got revenge this year after missing out on Lehigh by three points in the 2022-23 season dual meet, where they lost 119-122. The Pirates improve to 3-1 on the year and will gear up for their last meet of the fall at the WVU Invite in Morgantown, WV, from Nov. 16-18.

Phoebe Hampson can be reached at phoebe.hampson@student.shu.edu.