Photo via Pinky Swear PACK and Brighter Futures

Pink Swear PACK and Brighter Futures host bake sale for breast cancer awareness

Two advocating clubs at Seton Hall spent their time co-hosting a bake sale for Breast Cancer Awareness Month and opened the door for conversation about adverse childhood experiences on Oct. 30.  

Pinky Swear PACK and Brighter Futures bake sale not only brought sweets to the table but the opportunity to educate students on how they can make a difference in the lives of those with breast cancer along with providing a system of support. 

Pinky Swear PACK focuses on advocating for childhood cancer, while Brighter Futures emphasizes breast cancer awareness and ACEs. 

Meghna Thomas, a senior psychology major, is the president of Brighter Futures. 

“The intersection between our causes is easy to overlook but powerful, and I realized the unique opportunity we had to join forces and make an impact in the lives of those affected by cancer,” Thomas said. 

Thomas said both organizations aspire “to support the children and families affected by life-threatening disease and do everything in our power to ensure that, not only do their stories go unheard, but that they receive the highest quality of care and support.”

Thomas said the proceeds went to Tackle Kids Cancer with Hackensack Meridian Health, a team dedicated to finding innovative cancer treatments.

“Children from families affected by breast cancer not only deal with especially delicate genetics, but the detrimental effects of ACEs associated with the traumatic experience ushered in early becomes increasingly clear,” Thomas said.

Thomas said the tabling is meant to “cut through the silence of children who cannot voice their struggles and actively contribute to the causes that recognize their needs.”

“By raising awareness of the mental health burdens and lifelong implications of breast cancer on affected children and their families, we further the efforts of the medical community,” Thomas said.

Anahi Flores, a senior biology major, is the co-president of Pinky Swear PACK. She said it is important to highlight the factors that affect mental health in early childhood.

“Our goal in this is to allow these families to focus on their children and lift as much financial burden from them as we can,” Flores said.

Flores said she enjoyed being able to raise funds for Tackle Kids Cancer, whose mission particularly speaks to her.

“They are devoted to advancing pediatric cancer research and treatment, and we thought it resonated deeply with the missions of both our organizations,” Flores said.

Mahika Ganguly, a sophomore biology major, is the vice president of Brighter Futures. She said the organizations offered an array of cookies and complimentary stickers as well as informational signs about breast cancer.

“Although it was brief, I did have a good, informative conversation with the leaders of Brighter Futures and Pinky Swear PACK,” said Josh Ferro, a senior secondary education and English double major. “They provided insightful information on breast cancer awareness and where the proceeds go.”

Gianna Vaynberg, a sophomore elementary and special education and English double major, said the tabling taught her “how common breast cancer was and how important it is to spread awareness.” 

Vaynberg also said she learned how breast cancer affects not only the person with breast cancer but the people in their lives, too. 

Rhyleigh Russell can be reached at rhyleigh.russell@student.shu.edu