Photo via Degree Works.

Seton Hall transitions from CAPP to Degree Works

Seton Hall University will transition from Banner’s degree audit tool, Curriculum and Advising and Program Planning Tool (CAPP), to Degree Works in October.

Since 2017, the university has used CAPP to track the progress of students' degrees. Erin Murphy, a senior accounting and IT major, described the system as “confusing” and emphasized its inability to provide the proper data for students who have  more than one major.

Following a brief experiment during the spring semester in which business and psychology students were able to utilize the system, Seton Hall has made the decision to exclusively use Degree Works as a degree audit tool. 

“Degree Works provides other useful features that were not available in CAPP, including a GPA calculator, the ability to view course schedules, course descriptions, prerequisites and seat availability for missing requirements, and the ability to simulate different ‘What If’ degree scenarios including incorporating future planned courses,” said university registrar Autumn Bucior. 

Additionally, students will be able to access placement tests, the status of registration holds, and their advisors names through Degree Works. 

Bucior explained that the system is being introduced in an effort to “modernize Seton Hall’s academic infrastructure and enhance the overall student experience.” 

Tiffany Clay, a freshman business and law major, expressed her slight apprehension as she makes the transition into college life. “While Degree Works allows me to confidently track my grades and progress, it is a bit overwhelming and confusing having to learn an entirely new system.”

Bucior explained that the system has “received positive feedback from the pilot groups of advisors and students who were given access over the last few months.” 

Staff will gain access to Degree Works on October 2, while students will on October 23.

The university will continue to use Banner’s Student Self-Service functionality for course registration, access to financial aid records, and final grade publication. 

Megan Pitt can be reached at megan.pitt@student.shu.edu