“Go with the Flow” event simulates periods for awareness

Period SHU partnered with Alpha Sigma Tau to test the strength of people with periods and raise money for a local nonprofit on March 1 in the University Center.

The “Go with the Flow” event was a fundraising table that used a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation machine, also known as TENS, to mimic the feeling of cramps on volunteers and students. Those who donated $2 could test their own strength and those who donated $3 could challenge a volunteer to test their strength. 

Talitha Fernandes, a junior biology major and vice president of community relations for AST, said the fundraiser is important to the Seton Hall community.

“This event's main goal is period awareness,” Fernandes said. “A lot of women go through this really painful period in their life that they deal with every month and it sucks, so we thought that this is a fun way to have people who have never experienced cramps before just experience what it’s like to have that pain for a little bit and also a way to raise money for a good cause.”

Fernandes said both Period SHU and AST hold fundraisers to donate to the Sierra House through events and community service. She also said AST and the Sierra House have a partnership for fundraising efforts. 

Located in East Orange, the Sierra House is a nonprofit organization that aims to improve the lives of low income families and homeless youth through a number of educational programs, housing, and community service.

Fernandes said AST has held a number of fundraising events, but this was the sorority’s first partnered event with Period SHU.

Katie Honegger, a junior sports management major and chapter president of AST, said partnering with Period SHU means helping women get access to the supplies they need.

Evelyn Tilelli, a junior diplomacy and philosophy major and Period SHU president, said this event leaves an impact on period awareness. 

“I think this event will bring a little bit of awareness to the struggles that women go through,” Tilelli said. “It’s for a good cause because we're raising money for Sierra House and they are a really great charity for women who are in between housing and jobs.”

Julia Riolo can be reached at julia.riolo@student.shu.edu