Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Park-Lane explodes for 31 points in win over St. John’s, 68-58

Looking to avoid a five game losing streak, Seton Hall traveled to Carnesecca arena in Queens, NY to take on conference rival St. John’s, who stood at a perfect 12-0 at home leading into the Tuesday night matchup.

Lauren Park-Lane started off hot in the Big Apple as she scored seven of the Pirates’ nine points to begin the game. Shooting just two-of-eight in the first quarter, The Hall’s defensive efforts were apparent through the first ten minutes of play as they looked to rediscover their footing in the Big East.

St. John’s, trailing 13-9, started showing some fight in the second quarter. The Pirates kept the lead to begin but were unable to pull away, giving the Red Storm an opportunity to take a one-point advantage with 4:25 left until the half. 

The short deficit sparked an 8-0 burst from Seton Hall, led by five points from Park-Lane and capped off by a Sidney Cooks triple. The Hall ended the half on a 15-3 run overall and rode a 40-29 lead into the break.

Park-Lane had a strong performance in the first half, scoring 25 points in just 20 minutes of action and connecting on a last second three-pointer to end the half. 

The third quarter started off ice cold for The Hall as they shot 2-for-13 from the field and allowed St. John’s to cut the deficit to six with 4:34 remaining in the third quarter. The Pirates, despite struggles, kept defensive efforts to hold the advantage. Cooks hit a clean turnaround jumper at the buzzer to bring the Pirates’ lead back to 11.

Seton Hall scored the first four points in the fourth quarter and had their biggest lead of the game at 15 points, though St. Johns cut it to nine with a 6-0 run. As time dwindled, St. Johns had their spurts, but The Hall walked away victorious, 68-58. 

Three players notched double figures for the Pirates led by Park-Lane's explosion of 31 points and three assists. Cooks finished with 14 points on the strength of 2-for-3 from downtown and six rebounds. Azana Baines added a double-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and two steals.

The Pirates improved to 7-5 in Big East play and 14-8 overall, snapping their four-game skid and ending St. John’s perfect home record. Seton Hall returns to action on Feb. 4 at 1:00 p.m. as they host Providence in Walsh Gymnasium.

Nico Rodriguez can be reached at nicholas.rodriguez2@student.shu.edu.