Photo via Instagram/@habitatatshu

Habitat for Humanity’s completed their first site date of the semester

Habitat for Humanity at Seton Hall partnered with Morris County’s Habitat for Humanity site on Feb. 4 to kick off their charitable efforts this semester.

The organization focuses on helping families in need by volunteering to help build homes. 

Alyssa Queen, a sophomore psychology major, said that it’s important to help others in need, especially within one’s community. 

“For me, a site date means that we’re going to help someone and that all our effort is going towards helping someone in need of a new home,” Queen said. 

Queen added that they displayed great teamwork as everyone worked cooperatively. She said the organization split into groups because these projects need multiple people to “finish the job.”

“There were only five of us that day, so everyone was given a specific task in order to make it all come together,” Queen said. “What’s great about Habitat is they require the family to come help out and put in the community hours into building their new home, so we get to meet all the families that we’re helping.”

Queen said taking part in Habitat “brings her joy” and that she likes participating in projects that help the “greater good.”

“I have a lot of fun,” Queen said. “I like getting my hands dirty and doing things to help out. I’m really glad I joined, and I definitely plan on coming back next semester.”

Kyle Finnan, a sophomore physics and engineering double major, and Habitat for Humanity’s affiliate chair, said his experience with painting the site went well.

“We were there for six hours and we managed to get two apartments painted,” Finnan said. “Our help really is critical to the process and helps cut down on hours so we can give the family what they need.” 

Finnan said him and the team feel “joy and accomplishment” when a home is finally completed.

“It feels great and it’s an amazing feeling, just seeing the family’s reactions and how truly grateful they are,” Finnan said. “It means a lot because we get to physically provide a service and you can see what you’ve done to help this family, whether it’s just putting up a wall or painting such as this day.”

Finnan said every member is familiar with one another and that’s why the organization’s teamwork is good.

He added that the members of the club are close to each other because of their weekly meetings and other activities together. 

“Once a year, we get to travel out of state for a service trip, which is also a fun experience that helps us become closer,” he said. 

Finnan said his inspiration for joining the club was based on an experience he had in high school.

“When I was in high school,  I took a woodshop class, and my teacher surprised us by allowing us all to build a house in the parking lot of our high school,” Finnan said. “He told us that the house would be given to a family in need, and ever since then I just wanted to continue on with it.”

Mckayla Watkins can be reached at mckayla.watkins@student.shu.edu.