Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Women’s basketball drops fourth straight contest in loss to Georgetown, 74-66

The Pirates traveled to take on the Georgetown Hoyas at McDonough Arena in the nation's capital. Coming into the matchup, the Pirates looked to get back on track after a three-game skid against a 10-9 Hoyas squad. 

Both sides got off to a slow start in Washington D.C., struggling from the field in the opening minutes. The first basket of the game didn’t fall until almost four minutes into the opening quarter. Georgetown ensued an 18-2 run, which led to a commanding 23-8 lead for the Hoyas at the end of the first quarter.

Following a 7-0 run from Georgetown, the Hall started to show signs of life with a 15-1 burst in the final two minutes of the half. Bembry started the run with a layup on the break, while the Pirates were able to knock down three triples shortly after. Seton Hall cut the deficit to just 6 headed into the break after Sha’lynn Hagans capped the run with a three.

Mya Bembry led the Pirates with 8 of the team’s 34 first-half points. Park-Lane followed with 7 points in the half, while Hagans trailed closely with 6 points of her own.

The third quarter saw the Hall come within 4 points of Georgetown, though their 3-for-17 shooting from the field held them back from overcoming the deficit. A Hoyas basket from behind-the-arc with 2:18 remaining in the third frame brought their lead back to double digits, and the Pirates were unable to overcome it for the remainder of the game.

Seton Hall went on to lose their fourth straight game by a score of 74-66. Lauren Park-Lane was one of four double-digit scorers for the Pirates and led the way with 20 points, five rebounds, and five assists. Mya Bembry scored 14 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Kae Satterfield added 13 points and six rebounds, while Hagans had 10 points and six rebounds of her own.

Despite the offensive woes, the Hall forced 22 turnovers, 14 of which were steals, thanks to a strong defensive performance. The Pirates were also a perfect 16-of-16 from the free-throw line.

The Hall drops to 6-5 in Big East conference play and 13-8 overall. Due to DePaul not meeting the conference minimum for active scholarship players, their Jan. 28th contest has been postponed. Seton Hall will return to action on Tuesday, Jan. 31st as they travel to Queens to take on St. John’s.

Nico Rodriguez can be reached at nicholas.rodriguez2@student.shu.edu.