Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Women’s basketball defeats Xavier in Big East opener, 74-55

The Pirates traveled to Cincinnati for a matchup against Xavier University at the Cintas Center to open Big East conference play.

Sidney Cooks started the night with a layup on the first play to begin an offensive showcase between Seton Hall and the Musketeers. Xavier shot four-for-six from downtown in the quarter to keep the game competitive, though The Hall held a 22-18 advantage after the first 10 minutes. Cooks scored eight of the Pirates’ 22 points.

Each side continued to click offensively with Xavier knocking down consecutive triples on their hot streak to cut Seton Hall’s lead to just one with 4:47 remaining before half time. The Pirates extended the lead back to seven after Kae Satterfield made an easy layup in her return to Xavier, and they went into the half with a 39-32 lead.

Lauren Park-Lane scored 12 points in the first half to help the Pirates sustain their lead. Cooks, Satterfield, and Mya Bembry each added eight points in a very even first half for Seton Hall. The team only converted on one of their 10 attempts from behind-the-arc, though.

Out of the break, Sha’lynn Hagans scored four points to spark a 10-3 burst from The Hall to bring their lead to 14 with 5:26 left in the third quarter. Xavier cut into the lead with yet another deep ball to make it a nine-point contest, though the Pirates retaliated and went into the final quarter leading 58-42.

Seton Hall’s advantage grew to 18 points with 5:38 remaining in the game, and they walked away with a win on the road, 74-55. Three Pirates notched double figures, Park-Lane leading the way with 24 points and six assists. Cooks had a double-double, scoring 15 points and pulling down 10 boards.

The women’s basketball team improves to 5-3 overall in the Big East opener victory. They will return to action on Dec. 4 against Marquette in Walsh Gymnasium at 1 p.m.

Thomas Donnelly can be reached at thomas.donnelly@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @_tommyd023.