Men's Basketball Games vs. Iona and St. John's Cancelled After COVID Outbreak Within Program

UPDATE: Sunday's matchup vs. St. John's has also been cancelled. This counts as a forfeit, bringing the Pirates' Big East Conference record to 0-1. Their next matchup, barring a cancellation, will be Thursday at DePaul.

Amidst the flurry of college basketball games across the country that are getting cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreaks within programs, Seton Hall is the latest program to be forced to cancel their upcoming matchups thanks to the novel virus's presence. Thanks to the outbreak, the Pirates' Gotham Classic game against Iona at Madison Square Garden on Saturday has been cancelled, per an official release from the program.

The school's release read, "Due to COVID-19 protocols within the Seton Hall men's basketball program, Saturday's Gotham Classic game against Iona at Madison Square Garden has been canceled.

The status of future games will be determined at a later date.

Seton Hall students who purchased tickets through the Seton Hall box office will receive a refund. If students paid in cash, they must visit the box office in person to receive this refund. If students paid by credit card, refunds will be processed in the coming days."

This cancellation comes in the wake of the cancellation of Penn State vs. VCU, Ohio State vs. Kentucky, Northwestern vs. DePaul, and Akron vs. Radford.

It also puts the status of the Pirates' future games in limbo, as if the Pirates cannot field a team for St. John's on Monday and DePaul on Thursday, the games will be forfeited and go down as a loss, per Big East Conference rules.

With the Pirates' non-conference schedule now concluded, they sit at 9-1 with big wins at No. 4 Michigan, vs. No. 7 Texas, and vs. Rutgers.