Seton Hall remembers rising sophomore killed in boating accident

Corey Molinari of Whippany is the second student death in recent weeks

The Seton Hall community is mourning the loss of rising sophomore Corey Molinari, 19 of Whippany, New Jersey, who died early Sunday morning after a boating accident in Barnegat Bay.

Molinari was one of six people involved in the early morning accident, which occurred when the pontoon boat crashed into a channel marker, NBC reported.

Molinari was airlifted to the Jersey Shore Medical Center where he died from his injuries, according to the report. Three people who were on the boat suffered minor injuries while a fourth person suffered moderate injuries. 

“It is with tremendous sadness that I write to inform you about the death of rising sophomore Corey Molinari in a boating accident this past weekend,” University President Joseph E. Nyre said in a statement to the University community. “The loss of someone so young is particularly difficult, and I ask that you join me in holding Corey and his family in your prayers.”

Molinari’s death is the second to hit Seton Hall’s student body in recent months. 

On May 11, 39-year-old seminarian Ngu Quoc Tran, also known as Peter, died shortly after being struck by a hit-and-run driver in Manhattan’s Upper East Side. 

Nyre reminded students seeking assistance during this time of grief that help is available through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).

Daniel O'Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu.