Students share favorite warm weather activities as spring rolls around

With spring kicking into full swing across the country and health officials encouraging individuals to hold events outdoors when possible due to the coronavirus pandemic, Seton Hall students are trying to make the most of the warmer weather.

Chiara Schwartz, a senior biology major, said that when the weather is nice, she wants to be outside as much as she can. Whether that be through exercise or leisure, she wants to try to spend some time in the fresh air.

“Kingsland Park in Nutley, New Jersey comes to mind because it has a waterfall and plenty of space to bring a mat to read or listen to music,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz said that during particularly nice days, there are plenty of people, both young and old, walking around and taking advantage of the weather.

Another spot Schwartz likes to spend time at is the University Green, adding that being able to see the hustle and bustle of Seton Hall is something that she misses a lot.

File-Photo--685x1024

When she has free time, Schwartz said that her favorite places to visit in New Jersey are Hobokenand Avon-by-the-Sea.

“I love to visit Hoboken because my friends and I love going down by the water after getting a bite to eat,” Schwartz said. “I also love going to Avon-by-the-Sea because the feeling of the sun and the smell of saltwater are definitely favorites of mine.”

Anthony Washington, a junior public relations major, is another person who loves to be outdoors. Washington said that he loves to hike with his dogs at South Mountain Reservation.

Washington also said that he loves “little eateries” around New Jersey. He said Liberty House Restaurant in Liberty State Park in Jersey City has amazing views of New York and the Statue of Liberty.

“They have human size chess pieces and fire pits to make s’mores,” Washington said. “Even though this place is pricey, I believe it is worth the cost, and I would recommend the location to a friend.”

Emily Pemble, a senior communications and visual and sound media major, also said she enjoys going out to eat with friends.

“My friends and I love to make early morning trips to Hot Bagels Abroad in Montclair on the weekends,” Pemble said. “With the weather warming up, we usually take our orders to go and eat at a nearby park to take in the fresh air.”

Pemble said she definitely recommends it to anyone who loves breakfast food and wants to take a quick trip off campus.

While many people may enjoy going out to eat, Washington said that during these trying times, it is important for people to make sure that they continue to adhere to COVID-19 precautions.

“Although the weather is breaking and the restrictions are being lifted, safety should be our first priority,” Washington said.

Dana Fialkowski can be reached at dana.fialkowski@student.shu.edu.