Spring fashion trends roll in as SHU students brace for warmer weather

As winter comes to an end, students are ditching their warmer clothing and shared their favorite clothing trends for the spring season. 

Joachim Mikel, a sophomore political science major, said some of his favorite clothing pieces were made by designer Rick Owens.

“In the warmer seasons that are coming up, some shorts that drape loose create an industrial look for a Rick Owens piece,” Mikel said.

Collage-compiled-by-Jillian-Cancela-1024x748
Photo by Jillian Cancela

Mikel said he buys a lot of his essentials, such as pants, accessories, polos and loungewear from Lacoste, but also loves adding band t-shirts to any outfit. 

“I am also a huge music person and I like to wear my favorite album t-shirts,” Mikel said. “I do prefer wearing my favorite black metal album covers because they fit my dark clothing palette, and are just overall more intense and visceral.”

According to Who What Wear, the color lime green is trending this season with different clothing pieces and accessories making a statement with this color. Neyha Ramani, a freshman nursing major, said she recently bought a yellow, gray and green patchwork top and has been wearing it everywhere.

“I think that yellow and green colors are perfect to represent the spring season,” Ramani said.

Sheer clothing pieces are also making a statement this season because of the comfortable, airy fabric for the increase in temperature, according to Who What Wear. Bella Rosario, a freshman physical therapy major, said she loves sheer tops for the warm weather.

“It’s a perfect material when staying cool in the spring season,” Rosario said.

Along with other trending clothing items, maxi dresses are in high demand this spring. Basic maxi dresses are trending because of their lightweight fabric and that it is an easy go-to outfit, according to Who What Wear

When buying clothing and accessories, students said they tend to buy from trending clothing stores. Popular stores for college-aged students include H&M, Urban Outfitters and Free People, according to Good Housekeeping. H&M sells a variety of pieces, including hoodies, t-shirts, skirts and pants. Urban Outfitters offers a “well-curated mix of on-trend women’s and men’s clothes, and a collection of handpicked vintage clothing,” according to its website.Meanwhile, Free People caters toward women by “providing bohemian fashion that features the latest trends and vintage collections for women who live free through fashion, art, music, and travel,” according to its website. 

Fashion prices range from expensive to affordable for accessories and clothing items. According to College Fashion, some affordable stores include Target, Shein, Francesca’s, Etsy and Zara. 

Rosario said the prices of her clothing she buys typically range from $5 to $40 per piece.

“I really don’t like to spend more than $40 on a piece of clothing unless it’s shoes—I’d rather invest in those,” Rosario said.

Shoes are another aspect of spring fashion with many different styles trending. Knee-high boots and basic sneakers are trending this season, according to Who What Wear. The boots are popular whether they are with or without the heel, and any sneakers from canvas, color-blocked, to high-tops are popular this season. 

“At the end of the day, I see clothes as a lifestyle, so I have no issue in defending and embracing my clothing choices,” Mikel said.

Serena Davis can be reached at serena.davis@student.shu.edu