Seton Hall Career Center to host three-day virtual career fair

The Seton Hall Career Center is gearing up for a three-day virtual career fair starting on March 23 to help students prepare for interviews and job hunting through several workshops.  

Reesa Greenwald, the director of the career center, said that there are several ways students can attend the career fair. During the first two days of the career fair, students have the option to schedule individual 15-minute sessions with recruiters. Greenwald said that students must sign up for these sessions 24-hours prior.

thumbnail_career-fair
Typically an in-person affair, the career center opted to host a virtual career fair in light of the coronavirus pandemic. (File photo)

Greenwald added that “drop-in” sessions with recruiters are available, but are “first come, first served,” and students may need to wait in a queue. Finally, group sessions are also available for students and do not require any pre-registration.

Greenwald said the Career Center is holding workshops to help students prepare for the career fair. The department is holding “‘Practice your Pitch’ with an Employer,” on March 18 from 3 to 5 p.m. It is also hosting “How to Market Yourself at a Virtual Career Fair” on March 19 from 3 to 4 p.m. Greenwald said students should prepare for this career fair the same way they would any career fair.

“Students need to dress and act professionally, even though they are virtual,” Greenwald said. 

Greenwald said students need to upload a resume to Navigator’s spring 2021 virtual career fair resume book. She added that those who plan to participate should also remember to look at the camera, speak clearly and find a quiet location without background noises or interruptions.

Katherine Patton, a junior marketing and business management double major, said she plans to attend this upcoming career fair. Patton shared that she also attended the virtual career fair last year to gain experience. Patton said that she hopes to be able to create networks and potentially gain an internship out of the career fair this year. 

Last year, Patton shared that there was not a video element at the career fair, but rather she “typed to [the recruiters] through a chat service.” 

Patton said she hopes the added video element this year will create a more human connection that she felt was lacking before. 

Audrey Pennington, a junior visual and sound media and philosophy major, reflected on her past career fair experiences when it was in person. 

“I was a freshman, so I was really scared,” Pennington said. 

Pennington said she has a more positive outlook about the career fair as she said she will go into the career fair with “more purpose and less fear” than prior years. 

Pennington said that her “more fleshed out resume” and a better ability to talk about herself give her more confidence about the career fair this year. 

Greenwald said that there are many ways the virtual environment works in the students’ favor. She said that the use of scheduled sessions allows students to “maximize their free time and reduces time spent waiting in-between employer conversations.” 

More information on these virtual events and how to attend them can be found on Navigator.

Ellen Paul can be reached at ellen.paul@student.shu.edu.