COVID-19 Live Updates: Daily cases hit semester-high as Seton Hall expands testing protocols

This page is updated frequently with the latest news on the spread of COVID-19 at Seton Hall. Check back later for more.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/5125866/

Daily cases hit semester-high as University expands testing protocols

FEB. 19, 2021

Coronavirus cases continued to surge on Seton Hall’s campuses Thursday, doubling from Wednesday and hitting a semester-high of 18 newly reported cases in one day.

University spokesperson Laurie Pine confirmed in a statement that the new cases were a “direct result of the University’s expanded COVID-19 surveillance testing” and noted that the spike was “not unexpected.”

Additionally, Pine noted that all of the cases appeared to be unrelated and were not a result of any of the University’s contact tracing efforts.

Read more here.

Cases surge as Seton Hall reports nine new cases of COVID-19 in one day

FEB. 18, 2021 | UPDATED: 8:37 p.m.

After warning that expanded surveillance testing could lead to a spike in coronavirus cases, nine students from the South Orange campus were reported to have contracted the virus on Wednesday, one of the highest recorded daily increase of the spring semester so far.

The University previously reported 10 cases on Wednesday, but amended that number late Thursday afternoon after nothing that it mistakenly listed an employee from the South Orange campus as having tested positive.

Of the cases among students, three of the cases were reported in University residents while the other six were stated as living off campus. The University did not indicate if any of the cases were related to one another.

Prior to Wednesday, Feb. 6 held the record for the most cases recorded in one day during the spring semester at nine. The numbers are still a far cry from the University’s all-time high of 22 cases on Nov. 13.

On Thursday, Seton Hall’s Health Intervention and Communication Team (HICT) implored students in its weekly email to continue abiding by social distancing and mask wearing, noting that a “negative test does not relieve anyone from adhering to good hygiene practices designed to keep ourselves and all those around us well.”

Since the start of the semester, the University’s Health Services has carried out 1,483 coronavirus tests, a number that the HICT said is independent of the third-party surveillance tests conducted by Healthcare IT Leaders, a contractor that is now overseeing the University’s random surveillance testing effort.

-Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief

Seton Hall reports five new cases of coronavirus in resident students

FEB. 17, 2021

Five resident students were reported as having tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, according to an update to the University's dashboard.

Despite the numbers, the estimated number of active cases continued to drop for the second straight day from 33 to 29.

The University did not report if the cases were related.

-Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief

Law campus reports first two COVID-19 cases of spring semester

FEB. 16, 2021

Seton Hall's Law School campus reported its first cases of COVID-19 since the fall semester in two students on Sunday and Monday, according to a Tuesday update to the University's coronavirus dashboard.

It was not indicated if the cases were related. The Law campus, located in Newark, previously detected three cases during the fall -- two in students and one in an employee.

The new cases come after the University expanded its random surveillance testing on Feb. 9 to include students from the Interprofessional Health Sciences and Law campuses who are registered for in-person instruction.

The University also reported four new cases of the virus, two in resident students and two in off-campus students, on Sunday and Monday, respectively.

-Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief

University reports 11 cases of COVID-19 since Wednesday

FEB. 13, 2021

Seton Hall reported 11 new cases of the coronavirus since Wednesday, bringing the University to 72 cases since the start of January.

The University reported five new cases on Wednesday and Thursday, and one additional case on Friday.

Five of the new cases were detected in resident students, while another six were detected in students living off campus.

-Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief

University reports 17 new cases in four days

FEB. 9, 2021

The University reported seventeen new cases of COVID-19 at the South Orange campus between Feb. 6 and Feb. 9.

Nine of the new cases were detected in residents, with the other eight in commuters to the South Orange campus.

The University also reported that "corrected lab results" show that three previously tested students were falsely reported as positive cases.

-Daniel O'Connor, News Editor

Coronavirus cases continue to rise on South Orange campus

FEB. 7, 2021

Seven new cases of coronavirus were detected between Thursday and Friday, according to an update to the University's COVID-19 dashboard.

One case was detected on Thursday in a commuter student and six cases were detected on Friday in four resident students, a student that lives off campus and a University employee.

There are now an estimated 34 active cases of the coronavirus in individuals associated with Seton Hall's South Orange campus, according to a Setonian analysis.

Since Jan. 25 the University has seen growth in its number of cases every day except for Feb. 1 and Feb. 2, the two days Seton Hall was forced to close its campuses due to inclement weather.

-Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief

University reports six new cases

FEB. 5, 2021

Seton Hall reported six new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the total for the semester to 39.

The update, which came Thursday evening, indicated that five students and one staff member tested positive for the virus. Three of the cases were detected in resident students while another two were said to be in off-campus students.

The cases, the first since Sunday, mark a decline in new cases after the University reported 24 cases last week.

-Daniel O'Connor, News Editor

University reports nine new cases of virus since Friday

JAN. 30, 2021 | UPDATED: JAN. 31, 2021

Seton Hall reported nine new cases of the coronavirus in the last two days, recording six cases on Friday and three on Saturday.

The University has now detected 24 cases in the last seven days and 20 cases since classes began a mere three days ago.

Cases affiliated with Seton Hall's South Orange campus have now risen for six straight days.

- Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief

Coronavirus cases rise for fourth straight day at Seton Hall

JAN. 29, 2021

Eight new cases of the coronavirus were reported by Seton Hall on Thursday evening, making it the fourth day in a row that cases were detected in individuals associated with the University’s South Orange campus.

The University did not indicate whether the students reside on or off campus nor if the cases appeared to be related.

The new numbers bring the weekly sum of recorded coronavirus cases to 15, the highest since Nov. 29 when the University’s case count was decreasing following a late-November surge.

In total, Seton Hall has recorded 22 cases of the virus since Jan. 1.

All eight of Thursday's cases cases were said to be detected through Seton Hall’s regular testing protocols and its surveillance testing initiative, which each week randomly selects 5% of the on-campus student population and tests them for COVID-19.

Students who live off campus are also eligible to participate in the program by requesting a test at the University’s Health Services building as often as once per week.

According to tracking by The Setonian, the University administered 399 COVID-19 tests between Wednesday and Thursday.

- Nicholas Kerr, Editor-in-Chief