Black Friday tech items: what’s hot and what’s not

With Black Friday and the holiday season approaching, there are a variety of tech gifts from which to choose. 

Since the pandemic has led to more students taking classes remotely—and with more people working from home—more people have become much more reliant on technology. 

With this heightened demand, the tech industry has stepped up its game to appeal to its consumers through the release of the new iPhone, PlayStation 5 and much more. Here are some of the items Seton Hall students plan to invest in this Black Friday and holiday season:

1. The iPhone 12

Apple announced the release of the new iPhone 12 on Oct. 13, which comes in both a regular and “mini” size. According to Apple, each new model will have “a beautiful new design packed with innovative features, including A14 Bionic, an advanced dual-camera system and a Super Retina XDR display with the Ceramic Shield front cover.”

Courtney White, a sophomore biology major, said she is looking to purchase the iPhone 12 this holiday season.

“My old phone was not working, and I feel that I deserve it after this long and unusual semester,” White said. “I’m aware of the costs, but I truly believe that Apple has the best quality phones, so I know the investment will be worth it; they never disappoint.”

1. PlayStation 5

Instead of thinking about what to put on her own holiday wishlist, Adriana Sanguinetti, a sophomore sports management major, said she is more interested in getting a gift for her father. Sanguinetti said she will be buying her dad a new PlayStation 5 this holiday season.

“His birthday is coming up, and I know he will love it,” Sanguinetti said.

The PlayStation became available in the U.S. on Nov. 12. According to PlayStation, the new gaming console includes “lightning-fast loading with an ultra-high speed SSD, deeper immersion with support for haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and 3D Audio and an all-new generation of incredible PlayStation games.”

1. New Wi-Fi routers may be worth the investment 

Since many Seton Hall students are taking classes remotely, having fast Internet at home has become essential. Because of this, a new router is an item that’s been put onto some students’ holiday wish lists.

Bryan Yates, a sophomore business major, is one of these students and said that part of his plan this holiday season is to invest in a new router. Yates said he is especially excited for it as he has been waiting all semester to get a new one.

Photo-via-Pixabay-1-1024x576
Seton Hall students are looking to invest in new tech items this Black Friday.
  1. GoPro popularity declines

While GoPros have been popular gifts in years past, Melissa Bowker, a sophomore biology major, said they are now a thing of the past.

“GoPros were popular in the tech world, but now most iPhones are waterproof too,” Bowker said, adding that this has made the GoPro less popular. 

Consequently, students interested in cameras may be looking into buying the new iPhone instead of a GoPro this Black Friday.

1. New TV for the whole family

While some students said they are more interested in what tech items they can buy for themselves, others said they are looking for something to entertain the whole family. This Black Friday, Mohammed Muheisen, a sophomore business management major, said his family is looking to get a new TV.

Said Muheisen, “My parents plan on getting a new TV for the living room on Black Friday since the deals are starting already.”

Fiona Liu can be reached at fiona.liu@student.shu.edu.