Seton Hall Esports to return for 16-week Rocket League fall season

The Seton Hall Esports team will return to Rocket League play this week, which combines driving and soccer skills into one video game, according to a University press release.

Rocket-League-Photo-via-Flickr
Photo via Flickr

The announcement that the Pirates will return to Rocket League play comes on the heels of the Big East entering into a three-year partnership with the Electronic Gaming Federation (EGF), the release said. 

Big East Esports teams will now be able to compete as official EGF Collegiate members and will have the opportunity to compete for the EGF collegiate national championship in 2021.

The Pirates open Rocket League play on Oct. 7 at 5:50 p.m. against DePaul. 

The Pirates and the Blue Demons squared off last year for the Big East Rocket League Championship, in which DePaul beat Seton Hall in the final seconds of a climactic seventh game.

Seton Hall will head into battle in Rocket League play with a three-man squad of Antonio “Tone” Riozzi, Connor “Breezy” Riley and Brandon “Vibez” Cordiano as starters, according to the release.

While Wednesday marks the start of Rocket League play for Seton Hall, the Pirates have already been competing in Esports events this semester. 

image
Photo via Flickr

The Pirates defeated DePaul in two out of three games at the Collegiate League of Legends Fall Invitational and are currently ranked #2 in the Big East in League of Legends. 

The Fall Invitational runs through mid-November with a double-elimination bracket currently underway between nine of the 11 Big East schools. All matches are best of three in the game title, League of Legends, developed by Riot Games. The tournament culminates in a nationwide 32-school, single elimination bracket

Matt Collins can be reached at matthew.collins@student.shu.edu