SHU preps for 10th tree-lighting ceremony

There will soon be mistletoeing and hearts will be glowing as Seton Hall begins planning for the 10th annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony.

The tree lighting ceremony was started by former president A. Gabriel Esteban.

Throughout the years, the ceremony has featured multiple student groups perform, including Pep and Concert Band, The Seton Notes, Seton Hall Gospel, the seminary, the University Choir and the dance team.

Winston Roberts, associate dean of students, said the University wants to make this year’s ceremony special in light of this year’s special anniversary.

“The first few years it was very small and one of the things that we wanted was for it to grow and get to the place that it is now,” Roberts said.

Xmas-Tree-2018-File-Photo-683x1024
File Photo
Associate Dean of Students Winston Roberts said he is keeping some new elements for the 10th anniversary tree lighting a secret.

Every year, the Office of Student Life runs the event with Robin Cunningham, associate vice president of student services and dean of Freshman Studies, and Roberts as hosts.

Roberts said that the organizers have been planning the event since September, and a lot of work goes into setting it up. “We have to get dates solidified, work with our grounds crew to get the lights set up on the tree,” Roberts said. “We’re also working with the production company, solidifying who the performers are going to be, and writing out scripts for the hosts.”

The staff is currently in the process of gathering all of the event’s performers. Although they are trying to bring in some new elements, Roberts said he is keeping them a secret until the actual event to make it a surprise for the community.

Alyssa Giarrusso, a junior social work major, said she is incredibly excited about this year’s event. Giarrusso said her favorite part of the event is watching all of the student groups perform, and she thinks the event is a great way for students to destress before their finals.

“It’s nice seeing the whole school community come together in one place for something,” Giarrusso said.

Many events and fundraisers occur during the time leading up to the ceremony. The athletic department has an event and DOVE and Habitat for Humanity organizes multiple fundraisers and events for SHU Alumni.

James Bassil, a junior political science major, shared similar sentiments. Bassil said he felt that this event is important because it allows for the entire student body to come together and enjoy themselves.

Bassil said, “It’s just nice to see everyone get super hyped over something as simple as the Christmas tree being lit up. This year, I want to see the crowd get amped up for all the different student musicians who work really hard.”

Rebecca Amrick can be reached at rebecca.amrick@student.shu. edu.