Seton Hall blows out Misericordia in final preseason tune up

The Seton Hall men’s basketball team beat Misericordia 112-38 in their final home exhibition game of the year. Following the suspension of head coach Kevin Willard, assistant coach Grant Billmeier lead the Pirates out in their second exhibition game of the season. “We stuck to what we always do,” Billmeier said when asked about preparation for Tuesday night’s game following Willard’s suspension. “We prepared for Misericordia like we would for any opponent and we just kept making sure that we were getting sharp with the offense that we have at the moment.” The game got off to a rowdy start as Ike Obiagu denied Misericordia’s Tony Harding of a layup opportunity and collected the ball to send Powell through in transition. Powell made no mistake as he sank a signature step-back three-point shot with ease to open the night’s scoring. His hot start continued as he sank three more shots from outside the arc and finished off a layup before missing his first shot of the night. As the Pirates looked to rotate their team, the game got progressively choppier and fouls racked up for both sides. Both Obiagu and Romaro Gill ended the half with two blocks a piece, while Powell and Cale ended the half with 20 and nine points, respectively, as the Pirates took a 56-18 lead into the break. Despite a heavily rotated squad playing most of the second half, Seton Hall did not let off the gas pedal. Jared Rhoden, Myles Cale, Tyrese Samuel and Shavar Reynolds Jr. all hit double digits in the points column on the night. The Pirates dropped another 56 points on Misericordia in the second half to see out a lopsided 112-38 victory. “You look at our first possession today and I think we passed the ball seven times before we got a wide open three,” Billmeier said. “It’s what Coach Willard preaches every day, share the ball. I think this group really does a great job moving the ball around, and it’s a group that really enjoys seeing other guys score. They take as much joy seeing different guys on the team score as they do their own individual success. 24 assists and only 12 turnovers, regardless of who you play, shows that you know how to play as a team.” Albeit an exhibition match, Billmeier looked unbothered being the one to bark orders and call plays for the Pirates on the night as well. “Coach Willard is big on everyone being involved on all aspects of the program,” Billmeier added when asked about his own performance from the sideline. “This is what he prepares us for on an everyday basis. It was a different opportunity for me and one that Dwayne, Tony and the younger guys of the coaching staff all hope to one day be in.” Billmeier also did not hold back when complimenting Samuel’s sound 16-minute cameo for the Pirates as well. “I think Tyrese showed us glimpses that he can be a really special player I think he’s a guy that we’re going to have monster games from,” Billmeier said. “He’s a freshman who comes in, does his job and makes us really excited for the upside he has. He’s going to continue to get better because he picks things up really quickly having come from a good program.” The Pirates are back in action next Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. when they host Wagner in their first non-conference match of the season in the Walsh Gymnasium. Justin Sousa can be reached at justin.sousa@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @JustinSousa99.