SAA’s ‘Talk Like a Pirate Day’ spreads school spirit

Pirate imitators, activities, games, the Pirate and a bunch of “Arrgh” took over the University Green as the Student Alumni Association (SAA) celebrated International “Talk Like a Pirate Day” on Sept. 19.

Students had the opportunity to participate in several activities throughout the day, including learning how to talk like a pirate and finding out their pirate names.

“Who better than to celebrate International ‘Talk Like a Pirate Day’ other than the Seton Hall Pirates?” said Lauren Borowick, a senior finance and marketing major and president of SAA. “The Student Alumni Association takes pride in fostering school spirit and celebrating traditions on campus. We want to create a variety of engagement opportunities where the Seton Hall community embraces being a part of the Pirate family.”

Since May, the group has been brainstorming new ideas for this year’s event, Borowick said. She said preparations had been under way since the beginning of the school year.

There were several games including peg-leg races and cornhole, and students also had the opportunity to make sand art. Students who attended the event received free snacks and prizes that were given out by SAA. For example, students who used the pirate name generator to find out their pirate name received a color-changing Seton Hall cup.

IMG_7355-1024x683
Kiera Alexander/Photography Editor
Students participated in learning how to talk like a pirate and creating their pirate names.

Following the recent protests by Alpha Phi earlier this month, fish were not distributed nor sold at the event. Borowick said SAA has never sold fish at its events. “Several years ago, there were goldfish given out as prizes during ‘carnival-themed’ activities,” Borowick said. “SAA does not have any plans to do that again at their events.”

“I can’t wait to go to more school events this year,” Melanie Liriano, a freshman speech pathology major, said. “It was a super fun day. Also, I love any opportunity to get into the school spirit.”

“As a freshman, I love finding more ways to get involved on campus,” Julia Lomonte, a freshman psychology major, said. “I really liked getting my pirate name and of course, the color-changing cup was a huge bonus.”

SAA also partnered with DOVE and took donations to support the Newark water crisis and Hurricane Dorian relief funds. Students who chose to donate became part of the True Blue Loyalty program. Borowick described the True Blue Loyalty program as a program that “recognizes our most loyal Pirates who stay involved with the University each year.”

Gianna LaRocca, a junior nursing major and SAA vice president of member relations, has been working with SAA for two years. She said that the best part of the event was being able to bring more tradition to SHU and helping “students to have more pirate pride.”

'Talk Like A Pirate Day' is not the SAA’s only tradition here at Seton Hall. Throughout the school year, the organization will host other events such as the Pumpkin Smash and True Blue Week.

Genevieve Krupcheck can be reached at genevieve.krupcheck@ student.shu.edu.