Pirates lose first-ever men’s soccer matchup with Florida International

On Sunday, the Seton Hall Men’s soccer team dropped its second game in a row and its first game ever with Florida International University. The Pirates are now 1-2 on the year and went winless in this weekend’s set of contests.

Vittorio Argeri scored the lone goal for the Pirates, which was able to cut the game to 2-1, but it was not enough to equalize the game. It was also Vittorio’s first goal of the year.

The Pirates started off the game almost scoring around the 10th minute, as Argeri missed a shot attempt that edged out at the top of the crossbar. The Pirates were able to keep things tied up for most of the first half and were able to find decent scoring opportunities as well. Andreas Nota was also able to nab a couple of saves during the first half as well.

MSOC-91219-1024x576

At the 39th minute, Florida International took the lead 1-0, as Stephen Afrifa scored the first goal of the game. Four minutes later at the 43rd minute mark, Florida International scored again from a goal by Xavi Olmos.

The Pirates fortunately cut the lead 2-1, as Argeri scored the lone goal for the Pirates around the 45th minute from a penalty kick given 44 seconds into the second half. Only trailing 2-1, the Pirates were back within range to tie with Florida International.

The second half was deeply contested as Seton Hall was trying to create ways to break down the Florida International defense. At the 73rd minute, Stephen Elias came close to tying the game with a shot on goal that was saved.  In the end, the Pirates were not able to break through and lost 2-1.

The Pirates forced Florida International to eight yellow cards on the night, all of which came in the second half. The Pirates also recorded 14 total shots compared to Florida International’s 15 shots. The Pirates shot four shots on goal, while Florida International shot five on goal.

The Pirates will return to action on Sept. 14 against Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania at 6:00 p.m.

Ryan Beltran can be reached at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.