Pirates bunker down but fall to LIU

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team lost, 1-0, to non-conference rivals Long Island University on Friday, making its season record 1-2 under new head coach Ciara Crinion. The Pirates have not been able to overcome LIU since 2014.

Goalkeeper Harpa Johannsdottir was named the Big East Freshman of the Week on Monday after shutting out Lafayette. Unfortunately, she did not have as strong as a showing on Friday, letting in LIU’s only shot on goal of the game.

In the first half, the Pirates and the Sharks were even in shots at six apiece, with the Pirates having four shots on goal, two of which came from Cassy Harrigan. Izzy Engel and Saga Sigurdardottir also had shots on goal.

WSoc-9719

In the 43rd minute, the Sharks attacked, scoring the lone goal of the game.

In the second half, the Pirates came out shooting. They had 10 shots during the last 45 minutes of play, but only two were on goal. The Pirates’ defense worked hard, limiting the chances the Sharks had to add to their score and preventing any shooting chances for LIU.

Seton Hall outshot LIU 16-6 the entire game and only allowed the team to get one shot on goal. The Pirates had six shots on goal but were not able to make any of their opportunities count.

The Pirates will return to action on Sept. 12 against Siena at the Red Bulls Training Facility. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.

Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.