Ka-Deidre Simmons joins Women’s Basketball coaching staff

One of the greatest players to ever suit up for the Seton Hall women’s basketball program is returning home.

On Sept. 18, it was announced that former Pirate standout Ka-Deidre Simmons is joining Tony Bozzella’s coaching staff for the upcoming season. Simmons will serve as a Coordinator of Basketball Operations in her first ever coaching gig.

“We’re thrilled to have Didi back with our team,” Bozzella said in a statement. “In addition to being one of the greatest players in the history of our program, she is equally an outstanding person. I know that having her on board will only enhance our ability as a staff.”

Simmons-91819

A Newark native, Simmons was the driving force behind Seton Hall’s return to national prominence in her time with the program. With Simmons leading the charge at point guard, the Pirates climbed into the national rankings and appeared in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 20 years in 2015.

Simmons is Seton Hall’s all-time leader in assists (562) and free-throws made (502). She also finished her collegiate career third in program history in points (1,717) and second in steals (257). Simmons’ 2015 season is considered one of the best in Seton Hall history with averages of 17 points, 5.7 assists and 2.2 steals per game. Her efforts earned her Associated Press All-American honorable mention, a first-team All-Big East selection and the 2015 Met Writers Women’s Basketball Player of the Year award.

Simmons’ storied career was celebrated this past summer, as she was inducted into the Seton Hall Athletics Hall of Fame. She is one of the youngest athletes in school history be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Simmons is the latest former player of Bozzella’s to join Seton Hall’s coaching staff. Lauren DeFalco starred for Bozzella at Iona and is now his top assistant and Seton Hall’s recruiting coordinator. Shakena Richardson also joined Bozzella’s coaching staff in 2017-18 for a stint as Coordinator of Basketball Operations.

With the addition of Simmons, Seton Hall’s coaching staff for the 2019-20 season is complete. DeFalco, Marissa Flagg and Jose Rebimbas are Bozzella’s assistants on the bench, while Pete Cinella serves as Director of Player Development, Shaaliyah Lyons works as the Director of Basketball Operations and Danaejah Grant is a Coordinator of Basketball Operations alongside Simmons.

Tyler Calvaruso can be reached at tyler.calvaruso@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso.