‘Dorm sweet dorm’: Decorating tips and tricks

Every August, incoming freshmen are thrust into a new environment and some live by themselves for the first time. Current students shared tips and tricks on how to make their dorms their “home away from home.”

DSC_0376-1-1-1024x681
Markela Quin/Staff Photographer
Some students bring souvenirs from the various places they have traveled.

There’s no place like home

Feven Kebede, a junior nursing major, stressed the importance of making a dorm feel like home, especially by making it very comfortable.

“I would decorate my dorm first by having cozy bedding and a comfy chair,” Kebede said. “I would also want to put up fun throw pillows on my bed.”

Ashley Postaski, a freshman biology major, said she decorated her room with lots of pillows and pictures that reminded her of home. She explained that she wanted her dorm to be colorful and full of memories that remind her of her friends, family and dog. Her room also included souvenirs from the various places she has traveled.

A picture is worth a thousand words

Postaski cited her best and easiest dorm decor as her picture display.

“You only need a few command hooks, yarn or any string, clothespins and pictures,” Postaski said. “It’s a super cheap and easy way to have a ton of pictures on display.”

Catherine San, a freshman elementary education major in the speech pathology program, also described her dorm room as having a string of photos hung on the wall. She used colorful craft twine as the string and tiny, one-inch clothespins. In addition, she utilized patterned Washi tape to support the string in between photos.

Kebede also shared her thoughts on her own picture display, noting that having physical photographs of back home made her feel more comfortable in her dorm.

A clean slate

San said that she was excited to decorate a completely “blank” room as a first-year student. San also said that she put small gemstone stickers along the border of a photo frame. In addition, she hung up a color-coordinated semester schedule as well as flat mementos that reminded her of good memories.

“I didn’t want to completely cover my walls since I plan to add as the year progresses,” San said. “I would suggest other people to keep it simple at first and add or redesign as you go.”

Go to the dollar store

San suggested visiting the dollar store, noting that one could be surprised at the finds. She bought strips of gemstone stickers, which are easily usable on frames, posters or anything someone wants to customize. Additionally, she remarked that any craft stores serve well, especially for craft twine, yarn and clothespins.

Postaski, on the other hand, recommended Five Below for both cute and affordable items.

Better safe than sorry

San advised decorators to invest in painter’s tape and Washi tape, explaining that Washi tape doesn’t pull off paint, but it isn’t as strong as painter’s tape, which also doesn’t peel the wall.

She said, “Be careful because you don’t want to be fined for room damages!”

Kristel Domingo can be reached at kristel.domingo@student.shu.edu