Tutors-in-Residence help students thrive in dormitories

Seton Hall offers resources to students to help them flourish academically whenever faced with a difficult task.

The Tutors-In-Residence (TIR) are student tutors who live on campus and are members of the Housing and Residence Life (HRL) paraprofessional staff who help to increase community throughout the residence halls, according to the Academic Resource Center (ARC) website.

TIRs can be found in Aquinas, Boland and Xavier dormitory halls. All undergraduate students, both residents and commuters, have access to this resource.

TIR-Profile-Study-Room-Glory-Akoh-1-1024x761
Glory Akoh/ Staff Photographer

Brandon Larmore, the director of ARC, described some of the daily responsibilities of the student tutors.

“The TIRs are responsible for holding late night tutoring for students who are either unable to make it to the ARC during typical business hours,” Larmore said. “These hours are typically held Sunday through Thursday evenings in Boland Hall, Aquinas Hall and Turrell Manor.”

While Seton Hall already holds tutoring in the ARC, the TIRs add extra depth to tutoring by allowing students with scheduling conflicts to attend tutoring appointments housed within their own dormitory. Larmore said the TIRs are responsible for holding late night tutoring for students who are unable to make it to the ARC during typical business hours.

Ronald Castaneda can be reached at ronald.castaneda@student.shu.edu.