Fans keep the stands cool at basketball away games

Some Seton Hall basketball fans explained why they feel motivated to travel to see the Pirates in enemy territory.

Emily High, a sophomore public relations major, said traveling to see Seton Hall basketball games is a unique opportunity to mingle with the opposition.

Away-Game-via-FacebookEmily-High
Photo via Facebook/Emily High

“What I enjoy most is meeting the other team’s fans,” High said. “Although we are cheering for opposing teams, I always learn a lot about the other team and what we have in common is that we all love the Big East Conference.”

Tom Kirschenbaum, a 1964 undergraduate alumnus and 1967 Seton Hall Law School graduate, is a member of the Seton Hall Booster Club.

Kirschenbaum explained that the club was founded in 1981 for the purpose of showing the sports groups that there were still fans that cared about the team. He said that it consists of recent graduates, professionals, university employees, retired alumni, and non-alumni Pirate fans.

Kirschenbaum said he looks to away games to build comradery with other Seton Hall fans.

“These trips are enjoyable because it gives you the opportunity to meet people you might not have known if they weren’t members of the Booster Club,” Kirschenbaum said.

Some students also explained that fans may not be the only ones that hit the road to follow the Pirates.

Jose Feliciano, a junior visual and sound media major, broadcasts basketball games for 89.5 FM WSOU, the Seton Hall Pirate Radio Station.

Feliciano said that some of his responsibilities include traveling to away games that he is assigned to report on. He added that every broadcaster has their own unique and different experience when on the road.

“You get to see how other schools and their student sections are,” Feliciano said. “I am not someone who used to travel a lot, and now I have been to multiple cities.”

Despite enjoying the opportunity to see the team play on the road, High said she still appreciates the atmosphere of the Prudential Center crowd.

“I enjoy going to the games with all my friends and being surrounded by the Seton Hall community,” High said. “Basketball season is definitely one of my favorite times of the year, and it is my favorite way to show school spirit.”

Feliciano added that he feels there is something special about calling a game in your home arena.

Feliciano said, “As a broadcaster, even though you’re supposed to remain impartial, you’re still a student. You still want to see The Pirates win. I get a special feeling when calling a game at the Prudential Center.”

Dalton Allison can be reached at dalton.allison@student.shu.edu.