Arteaga Continues Hot Start; Propels Past Northwestern State

The Seton Hall Pirates softball team continued its winning ways with a 4-3 victory over Northwestern State on Friday evening in Denton, Texas.

The Pirates got timely hitting from Hailey Arteaga and steady pitching from Reganne Camp to win their second in a row before moving onto a double-header on Saturday afternoon.

180216_SetonHallSB_JRK51-1024x681

Darby Pandolfo broke a scoreless tie in the top of the third with a solo home run, which was her first of the year. Later in the inning, Arteaga doubled to score Jaden Tate to extend the Pirates’ lead to 2-0. The Pirates added two insurance runs in the top of the fifth on an RBI double from Janae Barracato and an RBI single from Arteaga. Arteaga, who is hitting .647 for the year, went 3-for-3 on the day with two RBIs to continue her scorching start.

Northwestern State rebounded with two runs in the bottom of the fifth, but Camp limited the damage. Camp exited after five strong innings, giving up one earned run and striking out five before ceding the mound to Kelsey Gumm. Gumm gave up a run in the bottom of the seventh and Northwestern State eventually had the tying run in scoring position, but Gumm ended the threat by striking out a Northwestern State batter to finish off a two inning save, the second of her short career as a Pirate.   

Matthew Collins can be reached at matthew.collins@student.shu.edu.