Women’s tennis ends fall season with success

The Seton Hall women’s tennis team wrapped up its fall season this past weekend at the Harvard Fall Scramble. The three-day weekend tournament featured competitors Fordham University, the University of Rhode Island, host Harvard University and Seton Hall. The format allowed for each team to have one day of play against each other. The first day opened with doubles competition in “Match A”, which saw Seton Hall facing off against Rhode Island. Seton Hall’s senior-freshman duo of 2017 First Team All Big-East member Anicka Fajnorova and up and comer Regina Pitts were able to use their combination of veteran savvy and young energy to propel them to a 6-3 victory. Melody Taal and Michal Matson dominated their match, 6-1, against Halah Davis and Ariel Haber, while Netherlands native Anniek Jansen teamed up with Mekeila Erspamer for a 6-3 defeat over Rhode Island. Thandy Kangwa and Minja Gligic also secured a 6-3 win. [caption id="attachment_24636" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] However, day two played out much differently for Seton Hall. Harvard defended their home court ferociously, eager to squash any possible momentum and hopes that the Pirates had built up after the first day. Matson and Taal were able to keep up their overwhelming pace, cruising to a 6-2 win. Fajnorova and Pitts also took another victory, 6-4. Harvard was able to match Seton Hall’s two victories with two of its own, as the Jansen and Erspamer duo fell 6-1, and Kangwa and Gligic fell 7-5. Kangwa and Gligic were able to bounce back calmly though after their day two loss against Fordham on day three. The duo won its contest 6-4, defeating the Rams’ Alexis Zobeideh and Nicole Li. On the day as well, Matson and Taal fell 6-4, while Fajnorova and Pitts were unable to retain their winning streak, also dropping their match 6-4. A Pirate was able to secure at least on victory in singles play, which began Sunday. Matson was the lone player who finished with more than one, ending her weekend with two wins to her record. Seton Hall’s next match will come on Jan. 19 against Sacred Heart University. Justin Morris can be reached at justin.morris@student.shu.edu.