Pirates fight hard in loss to Xavier

On Friday, the Seton Hall women’s volleyball team lost, 3-1, to Xavier University. The loss drops the Pirates to 8-17, including 3-9 in conference play. The first set began neck-and-neck. On the back of Sophia Coffey’s six assists and Abby Thelen’s four kills, the set was tied 11-11 at one point, but the Pirates could not pull ahead from there as Xavier won 25-21. Xavier had 17 kills that set, compared to Seton Hall’s 15, and the lead did not reach more than four points at any given time. The Pirates started the second set on a strong note, pulling ahead 8-3. However, Xavier slowly began to claw back and tied the score at 13. From there, it seemed that the Musketeers were pulling away, but a 7-1 Seton Hall run won them the set, 25-22. The Pirates had 15 kills in the set while Xavier had 14. [caption id="attachment_24759" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Xavier dominated Seton Hall early in the third set and jumped to a convincing 21-8 lead. Despite the slow start, the Pirates showed their resolve and went on a torrid 12-1 run to cut the Xavier lead to just two. However, the Musketeers proved to be too much for the Pirates and won the set 25-22. Seton Hall had nine kills that set, and Xavier had 10. Both teams had four blocks each. Xavier also had five service aces while Seton Hall had none. In the fourth set, Xavier showed its dominance yet again by grabbing the lead and holding onto it, with the largest lead of the set being eight. As much as the Pirates tried to fight back, they could not get close to the Musketeers and lost the final set, 25-20. Coffey ended the match with had 43 assists and eight digs, and Caitlin Koska had 14 kills and 16 digs. The Pirates will return to action on Oct. 27 when they visit Butler University. Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.