Pirates fall to Creighton, drop seventh game in a row

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team was swept on Friday night by Creighton, extending its losing streak to seven games. The Pirates started the match by trading kills with the Bluejays, keeping the game close or tied. The Bluejays, however, would go on a 5-2 run to take a 14-11 lead in the middle of the set and never looked back, keeping control. The Pirates got the set to as close as 22-19, but ultimately fell 25-20. [caption id="attachment_24428" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Set two provided much of the same story, as Creighton controlled play and jumped out to a 19-12 lead. Once again, the Pirates attempted to crawl back into the game, as they went on an 8-3 run to cut the lead to two. The effort, though, came short yet again as Creighton took the set 25-21. Despite being on their heels, the Pirates started set three off slowly. They fell down 15-10, but from that point onward the Pirates played with urgency as they went on a 5-1 run to cut the Bluejays lead to one point.   Caitlin Koska would then come up with two clutch kills to keep Seton Hall within striking distance. The team’s efforts proved to not be enough still as Creighton took the set, 25-21, and the match, 3-0. Haylee Gasser had a team high 10 kills, followed by Koska with nine. Sophia Coffey had an impressive 31 assists on the night and Eden Dolezal recorded 18 digs. Seton Hall’s downfall proved to be its attack, which ended with a .174 hitting percentage and 17 errors. The Pirates will return to action on Oct. 7 at 1 p.m. when they travel to Providence University. Ryan Beltran can be reached at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.