SGA receives new budget for 2018-19 year

The Student Government Association has received a $20,000 budget increase for this academic year, bringing the total budget to $170,000. This is following the change in leadership and budget formula this year. [caption id="attachment_23903" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Photo by shu.edu[/caption] The budget given out for organizations last year was constructed around the formula based on spending and fundraising. This method of budgeting for organizations and clubs on campus was not well received. The discontent with the past budgeting formula triggered the change in budgeting which is in effect this year with Student Government Association’s new budget. The new system was put in place by former Treasurer and current Student Government president, Rishi Shah. Last year, Shah and his team created a case by case budgeting plan. The new budgeting plan that was put in place by Shah now takes budgeting for organizations in a more personalized way. The clubs are not looked at as individuals and are now given a budget based on their unique needs. Divine Tanamal, a junior economics and marketing double major and treasurer of the Student Government Association, shared what is planned for the new budget. “I made sure that the increase in our budget is being spent on its intended use, supporting our student clubs.” Tanamal said. Finance Committee, a branch of Student Government meant to give clubs additional funding, received a $4,000 increase for each semester. The budget will also go toward budget increases for active clubs as well as co-sponsorships for clubs without a budget. Jonathan Pinnock, a sophomore chemical engineering major as well as a member of the executive board of Black Men of Standards, shared his thoughts on the new budget for the year. “I would like to see SGA support all organizations financially when it comes to setting up at events,” Pinnock said. “I also want to see them help organizations distinguish themselves, for example, with banners, icons, and badges.” Pinnock also commented on the new budget policy that has been set in place for this year. Pinnock believes it is a step forward but thinks that it can be problematic because it can make certain organizations feel like they are less important than others. Despite this flaw, he believes this new system is more beneficial for the organizations on campus. The new budgeting system that has been put in place has been in the works since Fall of last year and was being formulated by the former treasurer and his team since the 2017 involvement fair. According to Shah, the goal of this new system is to better allocate funds for clubs. The new implementation of the policy will be under the new Student Government Association’s treasurer, Divine Tanamal and Finance Chair, Ronald Babiak. Elizabeth Rodriguez can be reached at elizabeth.rodriguez@student.shu.edu.