Pirates win with offensive firepower

The Seton Hall men’s soccer team secured its first win of the month after a 2-1 victory over Sacred Heart University on Wednesday afternoon. Sacred Heart’s Zander Hyltoft’s unassisted goal in the 29th minute gave the Pioneers an early edge over the Pirates. However, six minutes later the Pirates answered with a goal of their own by Nico Andersen. Seton Hall added to its lead in the 55th minute as JP Marin scored on an assist by Andersen to give the Pirates a 2-1 edge. [caption id="attachment_24022" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The score remained constant for the rest of the match as Seton Hall ended with 26 shots compared to Sacred Heart’s 13. Marin and Gabriel Viola picked up yellow card violations in the 79th and 90th minutes respectively, and the Pirates finished with 15 fouls on the game compared to the Pioneers’ three. Carlton McKenzie lead the Pirates in both shots and shots on goal with nine and three respectively. CJ Tibbling, Francisco Alderete and Marin all had three shots each. With Wednesday’s win, the Pirates are now 3-2-1 on the season and return home for their next match on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 6:30 p.m. against Marquette. Andrea Keppler can be reached at andrea.keppler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @keppler_andrea.