Associate director for leadership development steps down

Chinez Madueke informed students in an email on Sept. 17 that she will be stepping down from her position as Associate Director for Leadership Development. [caption id="attachment_24272" align="aligncenter" width="200"] Chinez Madueke/LinkedIn[/caption] Madueke, who served as Associate Director for nine months and as Assistant Director for two years and five months, leaves behind faculty and students who recall their memories with her. “In regards to my time with Chinez, I have had the opportunity to work with her through MAC and MAC’s Social Excellence Experience program (S.E.E.),” Alyssa C. Lee, a sophomore biology/physical therapy major shared via email. “It has been a pleasure getting to know someone so hardworking and determined to make an impact on student life here at SHU with fun yet meaningful programs,” Lee said. “Throughout my time with Chinez, she has always been kind and understanding, and she has always put in the extra effort to help us out with anything we may need for events to run smoothly. News about her resignation has come as a surprise to me, but I will miss her dearly and I wish her the best of luck in all her future endeavors!” The University is left to fill the position Ms. Madueke leaves behind. “As with any position, we will look to host a search for the position to be filled,” explained Colleen Dallavalle, the Assistant Dean of Students for Leadership Development via email. “The position will be posted online through Human Resources.” “Our hope is to hire someone for this role before the end of the Fall semester so that they will have the opportunity to start before Spring 2019,” Dallavalle said. “We value student input, so we will be including student representatives in the interview process for this position.” Other Seton Hall administrators will direct the Multicultural Advisory Committee (MAC) to ensure their amply support of student organizations in the meantime. “In the interim, I will be working directly with clubs and organizations and advising MAC to support these students/organizations until we have a replacement,” said Dallavalle. “Michael Davis, Assistant Director for Leadership Development will be reviewing program proposals and supporting student groups through the programming process and Laurie Reid, Secretary for Student Life, will continue to support student organizations through the planning and purchasing processes as well.” Jacqueline Rose Caputo, a junior majoring in Social and Behavioral Sciences, commends Madueke for making her decision to leave Seton Hall. “Truly, I am proud of her for having the courage to step away from her position and to be confident in her worth,” she said via email. “I know that she will find somewhere where she is appreciated and valued because we see how much she had positively impacted Seton Hall University.” Yet, Caputo reflected that she still will miss Madueke. “I will miss working with her extremely much,” Caputo said. “We all created such a strong bond with Chinez because she genuinely cared about us as people and we felt that she always wanted the best for us. It’s not easy to find a person in administration that you know always has your back. I know that she will succeed in whatever endeavor she takes on next.” “It was a joy to work with Chinez. She gave me a platform to grow my leadership skills and she always allowed my voice to be heard” Caputo continued. “She radiated positive energy and fun that made every meeting/ event enjoyable while also be extremely efficient and keeping everything running smoothly.” Ryan D. Johnson, a sophomore marketing and management major, got the opportunity to work with Madueke in the Multicultural Advisory Committee, (MAC). He too will miss Madueke’s leadership and presence on campus. “Working with Chinez was a fulfilling experience for me. Because of her willingness to create a cohesive and inclusive environment, MAC has grown to be something recognizable and respectable on campus,” Johnson said via email. “She always had an open ear during our e-board meetings, and always gave us a platform to voice our opinions about how to progress as both an organization and a campus community. Her passion to promote diverse events and inclusive programming really drove us to create a strong campus environment.” Madueke declined to comment for this article. Dallavalle, noting the changes the student body will undergo with the departure of Madueke emphasized, “We, as an entire Leadership Development team, will work tirelessly to help ensure our student organizations continue to be supported throughout this transition and moving forward.” Kaitlyn Quinn can be reached kaitlyn.quinn@student.shu.edu.