Seton Hall comes up one run short of sweeping double-header

The Seton Hall softball team split its road doubleheader with the Georgetown Hoyas on Saturday afternoon, winning by a score of 10-2 in the first game and losing by one run in the second game, 4-3. In the first game of the day, the Hall did tits damage little by little, securing the opening win. After going up 3-0 in the first two innings, thanks to RBIs from left fielder Hailey Arteaga and catcher Destini Peck, the Pirates muddled through the next two innings without giving up any runs. [caption id="attachment_23222" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] In the fifth inning, Arteaga followed up her double to centerfield earlier in the game with a homerun to left field that drove in two runs. The homerun was her fourth of the season, which leads the team in Big East Conference play. The sixth inning was the Pirates’ highest scoring inning on the afternoon between both games. After Peck’s walk drove in a run with the bases loaded, right fielder Darby Pandolfo drilled a homer to left center that batted in four more runs. The second game of the double header, however, was a tightly contested game that featured three lead changes. Arteaga’s popup sac-fly to centerfield that gave the Pirates the lead, but they gave up two runs in the bottom of the first inning to fall behind yet again. After a scoreless second inning, Seton Hall’s bats came to life, as they scored two runs to take the 3-2 edge in the game. Centerfielder Janae Barracato tripled to deep center field to drive in the game-tying run. Shortly after, the red-hot Arteaga doubled to left field to enable Barracato to score. Although the Pirates held the lead in hitting margin, they could not protect the lead enough to secure the win. In the bottom of the sixth inning, after Georgetown had went the previous five innings scoreless, the Hoyas scored two runs that would give them the victory. Behind potentially avoidable plays, Seton Hall surrendered the scores on a sac fly RBI and an error made by shortstop Emily Supercynski. Up next for Seton Hall is the Big East season finale, as they battle the Hoyas once more. The first pitch is scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday, May 6, at 12 p.m. Evando Thompson can be reached evando.thompson@student.shu.edu.