Missed opportunities plague Seton Hall in loss to Creighton

Despite having a number of opportunities, Seton Hall was unable to capitalize against Creighton University on Friday night, ultimately falling by a final score of 4-2. The loss gives the Pirates a 21-16-1 record and it snaps their four-game winning streak. Although the Pirates had difficulty reaching base throughout the game, they were able to put themselves in spots to put runs on the board. In the first four innings of the game, Seton Hall had three doubles to get into scoring position. Only in the fourth inning did Seton Hall cross home plate, as the inconsistency of hitting with baserunners on plagued the team the entire night. [caption id="attachment_23212" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] With runners on base, the Pirates were only able to get two hits in their 14 opportunities, resulting in a .143 average. However, with runners in scoring position, the team struggled even more, batting only .111. Plate discipline played its role as well, as Seton Hall struck out 12 times while reaching base by walks just three times. Eight of nine hitters in the lineup were sent back to the dugout at least once for being rung up on strikes, with four of those hitters striking out twice. Starting pitcher Shane McCarthy gave the offense every chance to get ahead of the game, as the senior dialed in 6.2 innings of work and had a season-high six strikeouts in his effort to try and propel the Pirates to victory. The key to McCarthy’s success was attacking the strike zone against the Creighton hitters, as 71 of his 94 pitches were strikes. The strategy from Seton Hall's ace enabled him to surrender no walks to the 30 Bluejays he faced, making each batter have to work hard to win each at-bat. After McCarthy, Andrew Politi entered the game for Seton Hall and threw 1.1 scoreless innings. With the loss, the Pirates remain second in the Big East with a record of 8-2 and only trail St. John’s, who lead the conference at 11-1. The Red Storm will visit South Orange next week, when they take on the Pirates in a three-game series for the regular season crown. As for their next game, the Pirates will return to action against the Bluejays on Saturday, May 5 at 7:30 p.m. Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @robert_fallo.