Women’s tennis bounces back to down Villanova

The Seton Hall women’s tennis team was able to capture a win over Big East rivals Villanova on Saturday afternoon, 4-3, in Villanova, Pa. The win came 24 hours after the Pirates Senior Day loss to Marquette on April 13. Showing an ability to turn the page from that 4-1 loss, the Pirates defeated a Villanova team that entered the day with four more wins than Seton Hall. [caption id="attachment_22775" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The Pirates No. 1 doubles team of Anicka Fajnorova and Luize Strike were able to earn a 6-3 win to start the contest. The other two Pirate doubles teams, however, were defeated by the Wildcats, which gave Villanova an early 1-0 lead. Once singles competition began, though, the Pirates took over the contest. Fajnorova captured a quick two set game for the Hall in No. 1 singles to even the match at 1-1. Aside Fajnorova, a Pirates trio of Thandy Kangwa, Michal Matson and Katie Kim clinched victories, to ensure an insurmountable lead. Kangwa was able to dominate her opponent in the No. 3 singles spot, 6-4, 7-5. Matson, meanwhile, won her match in No. 4 singles in straightforward fashion, 6-4, 6-3. Kim had to battle for her win in the No. 5 singles spot, using three sets to win, 6-4, 6-7, 6-1. The win improves Seton Hall’s season record to 6-9; however, specifically under new head coach Kevin McGlynn, the Pirates are now 4-5. The win also gives the Hall its first conference win of the season, as its record in the Big East improves to 1-3. Seton Hall’s next match will be on Friday, April 20, as the team will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio to take on Xavier, before a regular season finale against Butler on Saturday, April 21. Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu. James Justice can be reached at james.justice@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @JamesJusticeIII.