We don’t care about when you were ‘our age’

Millennials and post-millennials, also called Generation Z, get a bad rep, one they don’t deserve. As members of these generations, the members of The Setonian eboard know a little about the subject. Older generations have called us “special snowflakes” who complain too much and need to grow up. The truth is that we aren’t complaining. We are simply voicing our opinions and demanding change for a better society. Younger generations have always protested and made their opinions heard. The Vietnam War protests that took place on college campuses are a great example of this. Today, millennials and post-millennials are doing the same thing for different issues. [caption id="attachment_22941" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Photo via Wikimedia[/caption] The Parkland students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Florida protested gun violence and continue to do so. When millennials and post-millennials see societal ills, we want to voice our concerns and make a difference. Previous generations protested; we’re doing the same thing. So why is it wrong when we do it? Why are we criticized for speaking our minds, instead of commended for contributing our ideas and thoughts to the discussion? There is nothing wrong with our generation; we are doing our best to fix the problems we inherited from previous generations. College students graduate with large sums of debt and are faced with poor paying jobs that barely help them get by as they pacy back their ridiculously expensive loans. It’s great that our elders were able to afford college, a house and find job security at an early age, but it’s a bleak outlook for those of us who are graduating now. We aren’t a lazy generation. We work hard and are interested in what’s going on in the world around us, and that’s something to be proud of. So please, no more “When I was your age” speeches. Don’t say we’re an entitled generation because you don’t understand what we’re facing. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.