‘Ten’ out of ten: Women’s tennis finishes regular season with dominant win

The Seton Hall women’s tennis team finished its regular season on Saturday in dominant fashion, winning 6-1 over Butler in Indianapolis, Ind. The win gives Seton Hall a final record of 7-10, as the Pirates displayed an ability to respond after a 4-3 loss to Xavier on Friday. The doubles portion of the match was a sweep for the Pirates, with the Hall taking two games to win, while the other doubles match ended without a result. Both the No.1 doubles teams of Luize Strike and Anicka Fajnorova and the No. 3 doubles team of Melody Taal and Michal Matson won their respective matches, 6-1. [caption id="attachment_22895" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Carrying over from doubles play, the Pirates played with purpose in the singles portion of the match. In her final regular season contest, Strike finished off her No. 1 singles opponent in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. Her doubles partner, Fajornova, followed suit in the No. 2 singles position, with a 6-1, 6-1 straight sets win. Taal was also able to defeat her opponent in straight sets in No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-3, which meant that the Pirates had stolen all eight sets from the doubles and top singles positions. Thandy Kangwa retired in the No. 4 singles match, down 7-5, 3-3, but the loss was only a hiccup in an otherwise perfect punctuation to the season. Seton Hall went on to win the fifth and sixth singles contests, with Matson and Anniek Jansen only needing two sets to secure victory. Matson won her match in No. 5 singles, 6-2, 6-1, while Jansen won her match in No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-2. With the regular season now over, the Pirates will look towards the Big East Tournament, with a chance to compete in the NCAA Championships on the line. The conference tournament will take place in Columbia, S.C., with the matches set to begin on April 25. Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu.