Softball splits doubleheader with last-inning action

The Seton Hall softball team featured in a doubleheader on Friday at Mike Sheppard Sr. Field, playing host to the visiting Providence Friars. Seton Hall dropped the first game, 8-6, but came back with a four-run seventh inning to win the second, 7-6. Both contests were decided in the seventh inning, as the unseasonable weather could not stop the offenses. In the first game, though, Seton Hall’s bats were cold for most of the way, as the team could not answer the Friars until they were down 3-0 in the fifth. [caption id="attachment_22642" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] With the late start, the Pirates had a hill to climb, and the trek back began in the fifth, with a Janae Barracato double to left field that scored Emily Supercynski. Seton Hall then tied the game at 3-3 in the sixth, behind a two-run homerun from Hailey Arteaga. In the seventh, however, Seton Hall was unable to keep the game even, as Providence registered a three-run home run and back-to-back home runs thereafter to take an 8-3 lead. The Pirates attempted a rally and scored three runs in the bottom of the frame, but it was not enough, as the Friars took the victory, 8-6. Seton Hall pitcher Reganne Camp took the loss after going six innings, while allowing three earned runs on nine hits. The result once again came down to the final inning in game two, as after receiving seven innings from Madison Strunk, the Pirates went into the bottom of the seventh down, 6-3. To lead off the inning, Janae Barracato smoked a double into left-center to reach base. Sara Foster and Alexis Walkden then reached on a single and walk to set up a bases-loaded, no-out opportunity. Arteaga again showed her heroics, as she drove in two with a single. Two batters later, Emily Supercynski dropped a single between the third basemen and left fielder to score two more runs and capture the walk off victory, 7-6. Strunk got the win after going seven innings, in which she allowed six earned runs on 12 hits. The win improves her season record to 7-9. Seton Hall head coach Paige Smith spoke of her confidence in the Pirate’s offense, after their performance in the two games. “We are never too far behind,” Smith said. “The offense has the ability to make up some gaps.” Smith also took pride in the effort her team put forth, to come back and give itself a chance in the first game, and ultimately, capture the second game. “Our team fights every night, that is what’s interesting,” Smith said. “It has gotten to the point where I’m almost waiting for their team to score so we can score after. It’s fun. We went to work today.” The Pirates will conclude their series with Providence on Saturday, April 7 at Mike Sheppard Sr. Field. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m. Robert Fallo can be reached at robert.fallo@student.shu.edu.