Senior Column: Never be afraid to change the path to your passion

It is crazy to think how fast college flies by. I remember hearing my parents telling me, “enjoy it because college is the best four years of your life.” [caption id="attachment_22629" align="aligncenter" width="960"] Photo via Facebook/Christina Vitale[/caption] I feel like it was just yesterday I was sitting in the Boland cellar my freshman year, discussing with my mom what I should change my major to because psychology wasn’t my passion anymore. I never thought I’d be sitting here today preparing to graduate in a little over a month, with an internship at a television production company in the city on my resume, while focusing on my reporter’s reel and sending my resume to broadcast jobs across the nation. I have experienced a roller coaster of emotions figuring out what I want to be and where I want to end up throughout these last four years. I started as a psychology major because I knew I loved the concept of the way the brain functions. Learning about how the brain worked and how humans respond and react to each other because of subconscious reasons intrigued me. I wanted to work with people because I love socializing, so I thought being a psychiatrist and sitting down with patients to discuss their lives was a good way to go. But as the science and intensity of the psychology major progressed, the content was getting too difficult and the concepts were steering away from my initial captivation: human interaction. This prompted me to change my major to communication, but keep my psychology minor. I started taking classes like interpersonal communication and communication theory and fell in love; I knew my love for public speaking and writing was something I had to hold onto. I joined Pirate TV as a bi-weekly weather anchor, soon to discover my desire to be in front of the camera. With the help of some older Pirate TV crew members, I decided to change my major again. This time to journalism with a minor in communication. I continued with Pirate TV and eventually started writing for The Setonian. Though I seem to have it all figured out now, it took a while to figure out what I wanted to do and where I wanted my career path to go. For that reason I was intimidated by the lack of internship opportunity’s I had throughout my junior year, considering I was a couple semesters behind my peers. I never thought I’d be commuting to the city twice a week as a senior in college. I’ve grown so much and learned an incredible amount about myself while attending Seton Hall University. Researching and interviewing are my true loves. I have an insatiable appetite for information, which ranges from researching past events to experiencing new things to probing the minds of the people I meet. Now that I’ve discovered my calling, the motivation to obtain my dream job as a multimedia broadcast journalist won’t quit. I’m willing to go wherever opportunity will take me – even if it’s halfway across the country. Christina McDonald-Vitale is a senior journalism major from Red Bank, N.J. She can be reached at christina.vitale@student.shu.edu.