New courses to be added in graduate program

Seton Hall announced new graduate programs that will be added to the curriculum in the Fall 2018 semester. The university is looking to add a Master of Science in Physics, a Certificate in Global Studies and a Certificate in Population Health Management, among others. Senior associate provost Dr. Joan Guetti said the new programs have strong marketability as to generate interest for prospective students. Guetti has utmost confidence in the aforementioned programs and in the subjects, especially the MS in Physics. [caption id="attachment_22804" align="alignnone" width="300"] Photo by Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor[/caption] “For example, the MS in physics would make students more desirable candidates for jobs in industrial or research labs,” Guetti said. “According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, an eight percent increase in employment is forecasted for physicists through 2024 and opportunities for physicists have become increasing diversified across many areas. The certificate in cybersecurity is another example of creating potential employment opportunities in a high demand field.” Guetti also noted the possibility of overlapping courses to fill a student’s requirement in efforts to obtain one of the new particular degree. Similar to other majors and minors, several of them require a student to be involved in subjects that do not necessarily implement their specific focus, i.e., an English student taking Biology or a Mathematics major taking an acting course. When speaking about the new programs, the graduate classes specifically, Guetti mentioned the process through which these degrees are approved. “In making the proposal for a new graduate degree, there is a faculty review of the academic curriculum as well as an analysis of the labor market for graduates with the degree,” she said. “There is also some consideration of why and how our programs are distinctive from others,” said Guetti. “That’s the beauty of it! The theme, whether it is global issues or population health, is percolating through the coursework in such a way that students see it from different perspectives.” The added majors will help to diversify the future student bodies, as well as implement new ways for students to seek their true career paths. Furthermore, the degrees and minors offered in the upcoming fall boast a plethora of choices and is only the beginning of the expansion of programs. In the following years, Seton Hall will look to build on this as they widen the options for every potential student. Evando Thompson can be reached at evando.thompson@student.shu.edu.