Barracato and Camp lead Pirates to Saturday doubleheader split

The Seton Hall softball team split its two games on Saturday in the Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Fla., falling to the Northern Kentucky Norse, 11-7, before salvaging the day with an extra innings, 4-3 win against Lehigh. The afternoon result ends the Pirates four-game skid, as their record moves to 12-11. Despite the fact that the Pirates scored their most runs in nine games against the Norse of Northern Kentucky, it was a case of too little, too late, as the Pirates six-run seventh inning did not provide enough to erase what was a ten-run deficit at the start of the inning. [caption id="attachment_22094" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Alannah Basile made her second start of the season for Seton Hall, letting up two runs in the first and second inning, before being pulled for Madison Strunk. The Pirates were able to get one run back in the first, but could not erase the entire deficit while Basile was on the mound. As a result, Basile took the loss, as her record now stands at 0-1. Seton Hall’s freshman centerfielder Janae Barracato had three hits in four at-bats for the Hall in the early game, adding to her 2-for-2 performance at the plate against Loyola Chicago on Friday. In the sixth inning, pitcher Chrisa Head hit her first home run of the season, while designated hitter Alexis Walkden hit her sixth of the year during the seventh inning outburst for the Pirates. Walkden’s blast was the 47th of her collegiate career, bringing her within a dozen home runs of the all-time program record of 59. The Pirates’ next opponent of the weekend showcase was Lehigh, whom the Hall defeated 4-3 in a 10-inning marathon of a game. Barracato continued her excellent weekend by adding her fourth and fifth hits of the day in the victory, including the game-tying double in the sixth inning. Barracato also scored the go-ahead run in the tenth, on a two-out RBI single from Payton Beaver. Reganne Camp pitched all 10 innings against Lehigh, who got on the board with a three-run first inning, but were held scoreless for the next nine. Camp’s complete game was her fifth of the season, as she also tossed her 60th strikeout of the season during the effort. Seton Hall have played 10 of its 11-game stint in Florida, with the spring break trip set to conclude on Sunday, March 11, at 9 a.m., against Central Michigan. Kyle Beck can be reached at kyle.beck1@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @notkylebeck.