SHU administration talks further action after race forum

On Jan. 30, a “Real Talk on Race” was held at Seton Hall. According to an email from Tracy Gottlieb, the vice president of Student Services, more than 600 people attended the event. She shared that the results of the survey that Student Services sent out on Feb. 2 asking the student body for their opinion on the event was 65 percent positive. [caption id="attachment_21755" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Megan O’Brien/Staff Photographer According to an email from Tracy Gottlieb, 65 percent of those who responded to a survey sent out by Student Services had a positive opinion of the forum.[/caption] Gottlieb also shared a few things that the university is doing to further the discussion. “We will be following up with smaller events that can make the conversation more inclusive,” she said. “For example, the division has two events upcoming that are extremely topical.” According to Gottlieb, The Multicultural Advisory Committee (MAC) is sponsoring an event that will center around discussion of microaggressions and systemic racism entitled, “U Matter, Growing Pains.” This event will be held in the University Center Main Lounge on Feb. 20 at 7:00 p.m. Freshmen Studies will also be leading an interactive workshop on the topic of privilege entitled “Let’s Talk: Privilege.” This event will be held on March 12 in the University Center Faculty Lounge at 5:00 p.m. “I would urge all students who are interested in continuing and improving about the conversation about inclusivity to consider attending one or both of these events,” Gottlieb said. Lianne Joseph, a sophomore public relations major said that race is something that needs to be incorporated into discussions in classrooms on campus. “I do hope similar events continue to happen but I’m more interested in seeing the administration do more than have events were students just talk,” she said. “I want to see more talks in classrooms rather than in big events.” Devyn Johnson, a junior diplomacy and international relations major, shared that she wants dramatic action from the administration as well. “We need concrete action from the administration that proves that they value students on this campus,” she said. “It doesn’t matter to me how much we talk about things unless there are fundamental changes in the institution.” Ryan Johnson, a sophomore business marketing and management major, said that he thinks the discussion of race at Seton Hall is something that needs to continue. “A topic such as race or discrimination is not something that can be covered in one event,” he said. “There needs to be a series of events or conversations to create progress.” Isabel Soisson can be reached at isabel.soisson@student.shu.edu.