Despite improvement, Echeverry’s exit strikes change

The Seton Hall men’s soccer team wrapped up its season with a 2-0 win over Villanova on Nov. 1, giving the Pirates a 6-10-1 overall record and a 3-6 mark in conference play. Though the season was not what the team hoped, it was an improvement from previous years. After last year’s record of 4-11-2 and a winless season in 2015, the Pirates found themselves on the winning end more frequently in 2017. [caption id="attachment_20683" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The season ultimately resulted in head coach Gerson Echeverry stepping down from his position. Echeverry finished with 28 wins in his six seasons for the Pirates, coaching four All-Big East selections and 100 Big East All-Academic team selections. “It has been a great privilege to coach at the place that helped me grow from a boy into a man,” Echeverry said in a press release. “I am grateful for the time I was able to spend with all of the great people involved with Seton Hall Athletics and, in particular, the men’s soccer program, the student-athletes and my fellow coaches.” Seton Hall’s biggest jump from last season was in its shots on goal percentage, which went up from 35 percent in 2016 to 45.8 percent this past year. As a result, the Pirates put 20 shots in the goal, while taking 24 fewer shot attempts than in 2016. Senior Andres Arcila led the way again with 19 total points, including eight goals. Arcila was also named to the All-Big East First Team for his play throughout the year. Marco Neves also had a strong senior year, with ten total points and four goals. Seton Hall shuffled a few players in net, but it was Elliot Munford with the team-best record of 3-2. Peyton Elder played the most minutes in goal for the Pirates and ended with a 2-4 record, with 20 saves. The high point of the season came when the Pirates took down the then-nationally ranked Creighton Blue Jays, 2-0, on their home turf. Seton Hall limited the Blue Jays to three shots on goal, controlling the game with stellar defensive play. A road loss to Xavier on Oct. 28 officially eliminated the Pirates from Big East Tournament contention, as they finished in eighth place in the Big East with nine points. Now that the offseason has come, Seton Hall will look for a new coach in addition to replacing the production of nine graduating seniors. Keith Egan can be reached at keith.egan@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Keith_egan10.