Yeom leads the Pirates in Mountaineer Invitational

Chris Yeom shot a career-best three-under-par to lead the Seton Hall men’s golf team to a 10th place finish at The Mountaineer Invitational in Bridgeport W.Va. Yeom entered the final day of play on Tuesday off the back of a first round one-over-par, 73, and pushed his score under par for the tournament with back-to-back two-under-par 70’s in rounds two and three. His aggregate score of 213 was enough to tie him for third individually. Gregor Tait had one of the best performances of his young career, as the freshman shot a five-over-par, 221 (79-69-73). The effort was good enough to tie Tait for 27th, with his three-under-par, 69 in the second round the best 18-hole mark of his collegiate career. [caption id="attachment_20094" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Gen Nagai also contributed to the Pirates team performance, finishing one stroke behind Tait with an aggregate score of 222 (74-73-75). Linus Yip, meanwhile, finished the tournament with an 18-over, 234, while Alex Chalk shot a 28-over, 244. Collectively the Pirates had an impressive second round, shaving 10 strokes off of their first round score, before losing five of those strokes back in the third round. The Pirates down, up and then slightly back down again tournament put them at a final score of 24-over-par, 888 (301-291-296), good enough for 10th place in the 16-team field. Bowling Green won the team event with a score of even par, or 864 in the aggregate scoring. In the individual competition, Marshall’s Alex Weiss took home first place honors with an eight-under-par for the tournament. Yeom was not far behind Weiss, though, with a three-round performance that gave him his second straight sub-par tournament, sixth career top ten finish and second top five finish. Yeom will hope to keep up his play when the Pirates take part in their next tournament, the Georgetown Intercollegiate, with play starting on Monday, Oct. 16. Connor Hester can be reached at connor.hester@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @connor_hester31.