Women's soccer falls to Providence in Mary Jennings memorial game

Seton Hall’s women’s soccer lost a heartbreaker Sunday against Providence College, 2-1, in a game honoring Mary Jennings. The team's record is now 0-11-5, and with the Pirates no longer in post-season contention. Jennings was a Seton Hall soccer player who would have graduated in 2007 with a degree in secondary education and history. Unfortunately, in 2006, at the age of 21, Jennings lost her battle with cancer. [caption id="attachment_20277" align="aligncenter" width="1440"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] In support of Jennings and her fight against cancer, the Pirates wore green jerseys with her name across the back to bring awareness to liver cancer. “For us to help support her and her family means a lot to our program," coach Rick Stainton said. Stainton says that although the team never knew Jennings personally, the players know the importance of her memory and playing for her. In the first half, the Pirates moved the ball well, but the defense was sloppy. Providence capitalized on Seton Hall’s poor defense, scoring in the 12th minute. After Providence’s tally, Seton Hall started to put on the pressure. Although the Pirates put five shots on net, nothing went in. After the first half, goalkeeper Laura Dramis had three saves, keeping Seton Hall in the game. Coming out of the second half, Seton Hall's defense looked a lot sharper. Dramis continued to come up big for the Hall, making an impressive save against the Friars. Seton Hall was finally rewarded for its persistent and aggressive play when Marissa Aniolowski scored in the 61st minute. There was a scramble in front of the net after a free kick. Providence’s goalkeeper could not find the ball through the mess, giving the Pirate’s the perfect opportunity to score. The game looked as though it would have to be decided in overtime until Providence got a late goal in the 82nd minute. Seton Hall had nine shots on goal and Dramis had six saves. The Pirates have not yet won a regular season game. “Our record doesn’t really show who we are," Stainton said. "We’ve been competitive all the way throughout, been a team that has high character and great spirit. It has been a team that doesn’t quit since day one." The Pirates will host Marquette in their final regular season game on Thursday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. at Owen T. Carroll field. Prior to the game, Seton Hall will be honoring its seven graduating student-athletes on Senior Night. Brittany Tomore can be reached at brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.